Author Topic: What Did They Use To Draw Details On Their Stocks?  (Read 1583 times)

settottu

What Did They Use To Draw Details On Their Stocks?
« on: October 30, 2018, 03:11:45 PM »
To draw details on their stocks? We have pencils and erasers. What did the early gunsmiths use to draw carving details on the wood? I know they had scribes and ink. Really. How would someone like John Armstrong have drawn his carving design?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 03:19:45 PM by rich pierce »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: What Did They Use To Draw Details On Their Stocks?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 03:25:09 PM »
According to Wikipedia, pencils were used in America as early as 1729.  Erasers, on the other hand......
Andover, Vermont

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 03:38:10 PM »
HI,
They had pencils and charcoal.  You don't need erasers because you can scrape mistakes away more cleanly.  Pencils were invented during the 17th century.  I have some from Colonial Williamsburg that look just like modern pencils without erasers.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Frank

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 04:55:46 PM »
You can use pure lead. Just put a point on it to get fine lines.

Offline msellers

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 05:47:28 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't pencils made with lead in older times? Thought that was why there were the different harnesses, and the old adage about lead in the pencil. I know that modern pencils use graphite.
Mike

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:47:14 PM »
Pencil erasers have been around along time too, 1770.  IF I recall from the "Connections" PBS series,  They were called "rubbers".  They were made from non vulcanized rubber tree sap.  I believe that the old amber-clear erasers are the old type. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eraser
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 06:48:27 PM by Scota4570 »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 07:42:57 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong, but weren't pencils made with lead in older times? Thought that was why there were the different harnesses, and the old adage about lead in the pencil. I know that modern pencils use graphite.
Mike

Apparently pencils were never made of lead. Graphite was assumed to contain lead. It does not. “Lead” pencils have been mis-labeled for centuries. All according to Wikipedia.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Daryl

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 08:29:46 PM »
The White erasers work well on 'pencil lines' on wood, without leaving pink marks.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline msellers

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 09:09:44 PM »
Mike

Apparently pencils were never made of lead. Graphite was assumed to contain lead. It does not. “Lead” pencils have been mis-labeled for centuries. All according to Wikipedia.
Good to know, obviously I never bothered to fact check that misconception. No more hijacking this thread for me.
Mike