Author Topic: First Ramrod Hole  (Read 1114 times)

Offline jm190

First Ramrod Hole
« on: November 04, 2018, 05:22:08 PM »
Drilled the ramrod hole in my blank yesterday afternoon. Used a 3/8" brad point drill from TOTW. Made sure the entry point was completely smooth and 90 degrees from the channel. The channel was sanded straight and parallel to the proper depth with an 5/16"x18" board with one 5/16" side planed to half round. Marked my drill with red marker every 1/2" so I knew when to clean out the chips. Drilled with low RPMs and gentle pressure. Used liberal amounts of vegetable shortening as a lubricant. Beginner's Luck gave me a hole that was straight left to right and the web was only 1/64" thicker at the breech. My wife says I don't listen but I sure heard all the great guidance on this board and in my books which allowed me to succeed.

John

Offline Huntschool

Re: First Ramrod Hole
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 06:45:42 PM »
John:

Nice set up and good going on your drill.

What you have looks a lot like what I use.  Only thing I do is after I get 1-2" into the wood I move the cover "board" back about 1-2" so my wife can hold the vacuum cleaner hose right at the entry and suck out the chips.  She is a big help.....
Bruce A. Hering
Program Coordinator/Lead Instructor (retired)
Shotgun Team Coach
Southeastern Illinois College
AMM 761
CLA

Offline jm190

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 07:22:51 PM »
Actually, I did the same thing after I got the drill started about an inch in. I took this photo just before I started drilling.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 07:40:43 PM »
Great job, John - you are going to be a pretty good gunbuilder!  You get lots of good advice when you ask for it, and more importantly, you pay attention to it.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 07:56:38 PM »
Congrats on a sometimes intimidating job.  :)

Online J. Talbert

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 12:37:09 AM »
Always a good feeling when done.  ;)

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell