Author Topic: Santa Fe Hawken replacement lock and triggers  (Read 4973 times)

Offline L Meadows

Santa Fe Hawken replacement lock and triggers
« on: November 21, 2013, 11:11:34 AM »
As above looking for a lock and double set triggers for a Santa Fe Hawken kit.Original parts are hard to come by,is there anything available that could be used as replacements?

Offline Hungry Horse

Re: Santa Fe Hawken replacement lock and triggers
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2013, 05:36:14 PM »
My first place to look would be in TOTW's catalog. They print parts full size, so you can easily either compare the existing part, or a tracing of the inlet,  to the picture.

Hungry Horse

wet willy

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 07:53:59 PM »
I have a Sante Fe hawken, 50 cal, made from kit from ToTW in the 1980's. It has among the finest pieces of curly maple I've seen. The stock is stunning!

Sadly, the stock is dimensioned for a person with a 38" sleeve length and no neck whatsoever. The sear leg broke after a few shots, but I brazed the broken piece back in place, but I don't trust it for a serious hunt. The set trigger is not properly placed in the stock inlet (I think this is why the sear leg was bent), so release either set or unset is about the same.

Others suggest the ToTW catalog w/full size images of locks. This is the way to go for a replacement lock, but keep in mind you may need to adjust/open  the recess for the breech snail. You may also need to grind the lock plate to fit the recess, sort of the opposite of inletting a lock plate. Various set triggers are also on ToTW. You may need to relocate the trigger plate so the blade correctly hits the sear on your new lock.

Offline Levy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:56:43 PM »
I'm pretty sure that I have one of the locks you're looking for.  The one I have is case hardened on the lock plate and I think the hammer is blued.  the bolster is a second piece of metal that was added on.  the sear bar on mine is also bent forward as Wet Willy said in his post.  It looks like a good strong lock with a fly in the tumbler.  I doubt it was ever used, but can't say for sure.  I didn't get it on a gun, but separate.  I'll take $50 for it if you're interested and that includes the postage.

James Levy   
James Levy

anj4de

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 01:16:56 AM »
Hi...

I guess the lock would look like that? Mine also has that bent sear. Seems like Uberti really made a design error that was corrected that way. My lock plate was brown when I got it...wish it had been case hardened >:(

blaksmth

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 07:54:14 AM »
 as far as the sear leg broken, I an not sure but Dixie Gun wks may still have some old sears that a person might be able to work over ,or have a machinist make a new one and shorten it up some,.  Bob Roller is the one to ask on this

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 11:30:29 PM »
The original Santa Fe Hawken  was produced in Italy, for Western Arms. It was supposed to be a 1000 unit run, period. Mine has "One in one thousand, and a serial number" on the tang.  But, the Italians some how got the rights to the pattern, and made a bunch more. Some were finished guns, some were kits. My guess is that some of the modern muzzleloaders being currently produced in Italy are still using this lock, and probably the triggers as well. Mine is from the first run, and has a browned lock, so, either somebody removed the case hardening before I got it, or it was browned from the start.

Hungry Horse

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 11:38:31 PM »
I got on a website a while back and they had Italian locks listed for the Gibbs and others
and I was surprised at the prices.All of them higher than most of my locks.
I don't remember the site but maybe someone on this forum can.

Bob Roller

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 12:43:49 AM »
VTI used to carry locks for many of the Italian repros. I think that they carry parts, too.
                                Dan

Offline SR James

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 05:00:26 AM »
Not long ago I picked up a Überti Hawken kit left over from the 80s. My understanding is this kit is one of those Uberti continued to make after the Western Arms Santa Fe rifles. The only lock parts included were the plate and hammer.  The folks at VTI have parts but told me the lock has changed several times over the years so it would be difficult to rebuild the lock. I wound up fitting an L&R Hawken lock to the inlet as it is very close to the original lock plate.  Minor enlarging of the inlet and it fit fine.