Author Topic: Dealers patchboxes  (Read 1086 times)

Offline far55

Dealers patchboxes
« on: November 08, 2018, 05:32:22 AM »
Seeing the patchboxes in the for sale section reminded me about the installed spring that seems to be on all the patchboxes offered for sale by dealers. Is there anyone who has them without the spring ? I put my first gun together back in 74, and got one of these from Dixie Gun Works. I didn't like it then, and still don't. I know you can heat it and remove it, but how do you get rid of the solder other than sanding it off ? I have been looking at the tutorials on making your own, but have not tried it yet. I have an Upper Susquehanna style for a future build, and I know I will have to cut out my own for that.  Thanks, Roland

Offline G_T

Re: Dealers patchboxes
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2018, 05:45:13 AM »
I'm thinking you could remove most of the solder with a solder wick. Sometimes also called a desoldering braid or solder braid. You put an end on top of the solder, and heat it with a soldering iron on top of the braid. Solder flows towards the heat source when it melts, so it flows onto the braid. Lift it off when still melted. This won't remove all the solder but it should remove all but a thin tinning layer.

Gerald

Offline Angus

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2018, 06:03:49 AM »
While the solder is hot, strike the surface with steel wool to remove the run.

Offline G_T

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2018, 06:11:25 AM »
I like that; it's quicker and easier.

Gerald

Offline flehto

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 08:06:56 AM »
This is what I did......Fred

close linkedin account