Author Topic: Patch Knife Placement?  (Read 2954 times)

Smokey Plainsman

Patch Knife Placement?
« on: December 20, 2018, 07:13:49 PM »
Hi friends!  :D And here I present to you another of my incescent questions!

For those that cut at the muzzle- where do you store your patch knife? Do you have a sheath sewn to your bag, it’s strap? Do you wear it on your belt, or even round your neck as some do??

I recall seeing some original bags with sheaths sewn on in various spots. Is that historical or a later addition? Just getting some ideas in my head and seeing what everyone out there is doing. Thanks guys!

-Dillon

Offline smokinbuck

Re: Patch Knife Placement?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 07:39:14 PM »
Yes to all the positions you have mentioned. All have been used and a few others could be included, just depends on what you find comfortable to carry and convenient to get to. I've even used a folding pocket knife a time or two.
Mark
Mark

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 07:46:45 PM »
Hi Dillon. Your choice because I don't believe there is such a thing as a patch knife historically until later times. They just used a knife.  I use my all purpose knife I keep tucked in my belt. Some  bags have scabbards attached. The ones I have seen are 19th century or later. There may be an 18th century sketch of a rifleman with a knife on the bag but it's a full sized one IIRC.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 09:27:42 PM »
Hi Dillon. Your choice because I don't believe there is such a thing as a patch knife historically until later times. They just used a knife.  I use my all purpose knife I keep tucked in my belt. Some  bags have scabbards attached. The ones I have seen are 19th century or later. There may be an 18th century sketch of a rifleman with a knife on the bag but it's a full sized one IIRC.

Thanks! I’d really love to get a knife and sheath for cutting patching and also to possibly start the ball, especially after reading this 1835 period account where a person does just that:

He then wiped out his rifle –rubbed the pan with his hat –drew a piece of tow through the touch-hole with his wiper –filled his charger with great care –poured the powder into the rifle with equal caution, shoved in with his finger the two or three vagrant grains that lodged round the mouth of his piece –took out a handful of bullets –looked them all over carefully –selected one without flaw or wrinkle –drew out his patching –found the most even part of it –sprung open the grease-box in the breech of his rifle –took up just so much grease –distributed it with great equality over the chosen part of his patching –laid it over the muzzle of his rifle, grease side down –placed his ball upon it –pressed it a little, then took it up and turned the neck a little more perpendicularly down-ward –placed his knife-handle on it –just buried it in the mouth of the rifle –cut off the redundant patching just above the bullet –looked at it, and shook his head, in token that he had cut off too much or too little, no one knew which –sent down the ball –measured the contents of his gun with his first and second fingers, on the protruding part of the ramrod, shook his head again to signify there was too much or too little powder –primed carefully –placed an arched piece of tin over the hind sight to shade it –took his place –got a friend to hold his hat over the fore sight to shade it –took a very long sight –fired –and didn’t even hit the paper. “My piece was badly loaded,” said Simon, when he learned the place of his ball.

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:30:21 PM »
While on the subject, can anyone recommend a source for period correct “patch knives” or knives that could serve as one?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:39:14 PM »
  Smokey lot's of the guy's on here make them. Might check the for sale sight. I carry mine on my strap. Real convenient for me.  Oldtravler

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 04:29:11 AM »
Smokey,
I have a number of "patch" knives that are available from $35 to $75 dollars. Can't post but can send pics to your email. Can also send pics to someone to post.
Mark
Mark

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 04:32:10 AM »
I cary but one knife; it is no beauty, but it does what ever I need it to. It is homemade from a file with antler crown handle. The flat base works well to seat the ball flush with the barrel and it then cuts the patch. The same knife will slice my bread and cheese and field dress my deer. I have even broken deer pelvic bones with it with the help of a rock, (although I felt pretty guilty about mistreating it so). It will shave tinder for my fire or whittle a green stick to roast my dinner over the fire with.
I carry it on my left in my belt sheath so I can cross draw with my right hand

VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 05:12:42 AM »
I cary but one knife; it is no beauty, but it does what ever I need it to. It is homemade from a file with antler crown handle. The flat base works well to seat the ball flush with the barrel and it then cuts the patch. The same knife will slice my bread and cheese and field dress my deer. I have even broken deer pelvic bones with it with the help of a rock, (although I felt pretty guilty about mistreating it so). It will shave tinder for my fire or whittle a green stick to roast my dinner over the fire with.

Nothing wrong with that knife David. Well done.

Mike

Smokey Plainsman

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 10:14:04 AM »

Nothing wrong with that knife David. Well done.

Mike

VERY nice!! Seems I recall a 19th century painting of David Crockett with a belt knife worn “cross draw”. Maybe he used it for patching chores, too?

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 10:07:52 PM »
Smokey, here's a couple, one on the front and one on the back.

Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 12:50:14 AM »
Just make sure it is secure and won't poke through the leather if you should happen to fall on it.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 01:24:08 AM »
mine have copper sleeves.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline WKevinD

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 05:21:49 AM »
Smokey, here's a couple, one on the front and one on the back.

Robby

I have always used a neck knife but your rig has convinced me to rethink that, love the copper sleeve.

Kevin
PEACE is that glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mike from OK

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 05:59:04 PM »
mine have copper sleeves.
Robby

Robby do you leave the knife and sleeve in the bag when not in use? I ask because I used to leave all my brass accoutrements in my bag and had problems. Either due to moisture or chemical reaction the brass items would be clotted over with "verdigris" after a while.

Not only could the brass items be damaged but it would stain the leather where it was in contact with the metal.

Mike

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2018, 10:33:22 PM »
Mike, So far I have not had any problems of that sort. I do coat the surface of the copper with contact cement, install and then rivet, the cement holds it in place while I make it permanent with the rivets, eventually it will dis-adhere. The one bag is about twenty years old and used hard, so far so good. Once a year I wash the leather with saddle soap and rub in pure neatsfoot oil.
Robby
molon labe

Offline sonny

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2018, 06:46:29 AM »
hello Dillon, Is this Rich or Ed ?. When I get my new England half stock finished by Rich, I will probably sew my patch knife into the strap across the middle of my chest. It is low enough to get at  it to cut patches, an high enough so not in the way when using the powder horn to pour another measure of powder. I always wanted to use the butt end to shove the ball into the bore, but the thought of the knife slipping off the ball across fingers an hand an getting a massive slice scares the heck out of me trying that...... so  a bullet started first then the patch knife an ramrod to finish the deal is how I do it..................sonny