Author Topic: Kibler Colonial .58 Smoothbore  (Read 1983 times)

Offline Smilax

• Starting Member
Kibler Colonial .58 Smoothbore
« on: December 26, 2023, 06:28:28 PM »
First time posting, but I've been a follower of this forum for a long time. This project is my first attempt at a muzzleloader kit I picked up as a graduation present to myself after finishing up my master's and I doubt it'll be my last. It took me 5 months to finish it in evenings after the kids went down, but I really had a great time building it and the quality of product that Jim and his folks produce is fantastic. It's a Kibler Colonial smoothbore in .58. I Wanted the added utility of using shot for small game on top of round ball for deer - as much to extend how many days I can get it in the field as anything. I took advantage of a sale he was running to justify a wood upgrade, so this is the Fancy maple finished with a few coats of iron nitrate and permaline sealer. All the steel parts have been rust blued - the barrel took the most effort with my semi-janky setup, but I think it came out great in the end. Compared to the phenomenal craftsmanship and adornments I see on this forum, its pretty plain but it came out exactly as I was hoping for and will certainly be well used. Thanks to everyone on here for the inspiration and tips I gleaned along the way.

Online smylee grouch

Re: Kibler Colonial .58 Smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2023, 06:46:55 PM »
Welcome to the party. It looks as though you started out on the right foot. Enjoy.  ;) :)

Offline Kurt

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2023, 07:37:32 PM »
That is a very nice smoothbore you have built. I am anxious to hear how it shoots as I have been thinking about something similar but am wary of smoothbore accuracy and my impression that smoothbores require heavy powder charges to obtain accuracy. Your experience will be nice to hear. Thanks.

Offline Smilax

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2023, 10:07:18 PM »
Kurt, I was very pleased with its accuracy. The photo below is 80 gr 2F Swiss, .570 rb and .015 patch at 50 yds. Started at 60gr and worked my way up but honestly could have gone with any load in between - very similar accuracy overall. Put another 2 into that black dot after I took this photo too, very repeatable.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 10:13:40 PM »
A very appealing rifle and good shooting.  Love the color and finish.  Well done!

Jim

Offline Kurt

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 01:16:05 AM »
Yes, indeed that is better accuracy than I do with a rifle, and only 80 grains. Disproves my impression of smoothbore certainly. Thank you.

Offline aaronc

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 01:39:35 AM »
That is beautiful, well done. I didn't know smooth bores were capable of that accuracy either.
- Aaron C
At the work bench.

Offline gunmaker

• the old dog gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2023, 07:35:43 AM »
Wonder what it weighs ?  Great minds think alike. I have one too.  Excellent work love that color. Not Kibler, home made.

Offline alacran

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2023, 04:18:04 PM »
That is beautiful, well done. I didn't know smooth bores were capable of that accuracy either.
Put a rear sight on a smoothbore, like this one sports and they are very accurate.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Smilax

• Starting Member
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2023, 10:13:28 PM »
It comes in at 8.75 lbs, not bad at all to carry around the woods.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2023, 04:28:18 AM »
"Smooth Rifles"  (smoothbore with sights) with barrels 36" to 48" were oft times ordered from makers in the Eastern States, by the stores on the frontier.
documentation of re-printed actual gun orders noted in "Firearms of the American West".
EVERYONE should have these books. Mine came from my Bro for Christmas and Birthday presents.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline Don

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2023, 04:27:32 PM »
Nice.  Like how the grain and figure show up in that light. 8)

Offline JeffG

• Starting Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2023, 10:17:18 PM »
That's a fine looking gun! Welcome!
Then a voice told him, "Get up, Peter. Kill and eat." Acts 10:13