Author Topic: Shot My Smoothie Today  (Read 4034 times)

George F.

Shot My Smoothie Today
« on: October 19, 2008, 04:25:33 AM »
I finished my first smoothie up about a month ago. Today I finally got to put some life into her. I had a upper back ache centered behind my shoulder blade for a week now, but I loaded the .69 caliber up with 70 grains 2F, a fiber wad, and a over card and a patched .662 ball. First shot was 1 o'clock in the 9 ring on the 100 yard target, but sadly enough the distance was not something to brag about it being a mear 25 yards. But after 4 shots it seemed all about the same. Final grade I'd say was very pleasing.  I know everybody is visually based, but I'm sorry I still don't have any pictures.   ...Geo.

R. Hare

Re: Shot My Smoothie Today
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2008, 09:00:52 AM »
George,

I'm very pleased it is working for you.
There's a lot of satisfaction firing something you've finished up yourself!

All the best,

Richard.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 05:39:09 PM »
What kind of smooth bored gun did you build?

George F.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 06:13:41 PM »
I built a Issac Berlin., in .69 cal. I bought the Pre-Revolution print available from a few sources, these would include Track of the Wolf, Muzzleloaders builders supply, and Tip Curtis. The barrel profile is what grabbed my attention. The 1-1/4" octagon  breech is tapered to a wedding band transition, then the barrel transitions to a 5" 16 flat section to another wedding band, then round tapered to the muzzle. There is a check piece as well as a cheek carving that is very eye pleasing, There is a wooden patch box with more carving in that area, as well as on the wrist and forward of the check piece, and tang. It also has forestock moulding and butt moulding with a toe plate.
   I didn't bench it ,but I am not a very good rest shooter, but am slightly better off hand. I tried just a patched round ball but got better results with wadding and a over card.  Unfortunately I'm one of those guys that would like to take pictures as a show and tell, actually bringing the camera, but doesn't take any pictures. ... Thanks for listening (sort of)  ...Geo.

Daryl

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 08:33:01 PM »
Better shooting offhand than off a bench? Are you related me me too?

George F.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 09:30:42 PM »
Well Daryl it's like this. I was a naval aviation electrician back in the late 60's, never got any firearms instruction. When I got the BP itch and was able to afford to scratch it I was in my late 40's. I just picked it up shouldered the rifle standing up and started shooting.  Maybe twice benched a target because it was part of the shoot. I had pretty good upper body strength having spent my working years as a carpenter and was able to have a good steady hold,  unlike now. I since have retired due to health problems, and have lost a lot of my upper strength... in short I shake like crazy. But I do like shooting the smooth bore. It's not as muzzle heavy, and has surprised me as how I shot it, granted it was only 25 yards. I have a Chambers PA left handed Fowler still in the works. I was bending the trigger guard to fit the stock and it broke. Ordered another and was bending it also and that too broke. So I ordered a few trigger guards from Track and will piece two together to get out of the way. The guard was inletted at the finial and was bending it to match the stock. I broke it right after the bow goes into the rear extension. There goes $70  down the drain. I have a 38" smoothie planned, and a 46" walnut smoothie that I have bought parts for, but that'll be next year.   ...Geo.

Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 12:03:42 AM »
Don't give up now - you've got to be closing in on the right perscription.