Author Topic: ROCA#78 & 81 - Looking for pics  (Read 2785 times)

Lon Baugh

ROCA#78 & 81 - Looking for pics
« on: June 14, 2009, 06:23:12 PM »
Searching for links to pics of ROCA 78 and 81. Would like to find pics that show more detail of engraving and forends. Thanks in advance.     Lon

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: ROCA#78 & 81 - Looking for pics
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 01:12:55 AM »
I expect most of us who have been studying the reference materials for a while, have fallen in love with those two rifles.  For certain, many kits or parts sets are available to build Isaac Haines rifles.  I have relied on my copy of RCA for the detailing and these two images are of patch boxes I've done.  Whether they are correct or not is your guess...I hope these help.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Lon Baugh

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 06:50:11 AM »
Mr. Sapergia,

Thanks for the photos.  You've done a nice job on those patch boxes.   :)  Your engraving looks like the originals.
Lon

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:37:58 PM »
Thank you.  It is my observation that engraving on most of the longrifles still extant is very simple line stuff, and most is not well executed compared to most of our contemporary makers.  Though I always do the best I can, and do not duplicate poor engraving just to be Period Correct, I attempt to do as well as the original makers have done.  We all admire work that is well done, old and new, and I for one marvel at the artistic merit displayed on the originals.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.