Author Topic: Buck's County Smoothbore  (Read 8430 times)

Offline Tom Currie

Buck's County Smoothbore
« on: June 16, 2009, 06:18:38 PM »
My Buck's County smoothbore ready to finish. Photo's are not the best (need a better camera, won't focus under 24 inches ) but you can get the idea on what I'm doing. Just about ready to finish, carving and engraving is pretty much done. I love my 60% V tool , have gotten pretty efficient with it , I have entitled this rifle Volute Madness. I have woked hard on making a very slim rifle, I hope the photos reflect that. It's a bit more embellished than I originally thought it would be, but I believe it's tastefully done. Design elements are from Verner, Shuler and AP with some artistic license of my own design. I'll have her at Dixon's with me in July. Lot's of help and assistance from ALR members this past year and a half, couldnt have done this without you guys. I'll provide better pictures after she's done.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
Re: Buck's County Smoothbore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 06:25:24 PM »
Looks good! Can't wait to see it finished!

Are you using the macro setting on your camera? If not that should help with your focus problem.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 06:26:24 PM by melsdad »
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 07:42:50 PM »
 Looking really good Tom. Your entry pipe looks GREAT,  I am still playing around with mine. I look forward to seeing it at Dixon's.

Tim C.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:18 PM »
Hey, when you do a pipe tang like that, do you start with it relatively flat, then bend it around the sides as you inlet?
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

longrifle

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 09:05:49 PM »
That is going to be a beauty when your finished.  ;)

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 10:56:27 PM »
Thanks for sharing. The gun looks great so far. I'm building a Bucks County longrifle so this is motivation.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 11:54:34 PM »
Thanks for sharing. The gun looks great so far. I'm building a Bucks County longrifle so this is motivation.

Me too....if & when I find time.
Tom C.

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 11:56:36 PM »
Having made and  inletted a few of the long tailed Bucks County entry pipes, I can appreciate the work entailed . Yours is excellent. Is it one piece or two?......Fred

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 12:54:51 AM »
Thanks for the comments guys. The entry pipe is 2 pieces silver soldered together. The main part of the pipe is pre formed in a mold I made. I actually had it inlet and after a suggestion by one of our members, I re worked the lower forestock down farther and reinlet in an quest for slimness.
Engraving this  very curved surface proved a challenge as you are always changing the angle of the graver as you move across the surface and feeling for how much the graver is biting in as you go.

I wish my photos were better , my Vivitar digital camera does not have a macro setting.

Offline b bogart

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 01:13:53 AM »
Tom
That gun has come along way since the last pictures I saw of it. Nice job! Please keep us posted. I too will attempt a Bucks Co gun in the near future, after a few projects get clkeared up.
Bruce

FG1

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 02:23:10 AM »
Tom , how do you get the long tail to stay put ? A couple brads in the web ?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:36:39 AM by FG1 »

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 03:09:09 AM »
FG1, Besides the 2 pins through the web on the pipe itself, there will be a brad placed into the  " winged " extensions on each side. Right now it is just setting in place. 

FG1

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 04:40:37 AM »
Thanks , thats what I thought but wasnt sure as any place else looks like it would be in r/r hole .

Sure looks sweet !

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 03:41:39 PM »
Tom,

That's going to be a real fine looking gun!

JMC

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 08:21:30 PM »
I've only done one of these, and it was a long time ago.  When I did mine, the extension piece was separate, as was the original I was emulating.  I shaped it around a piece of pipe that was close to the same curvature as the forend minus the thickness of the metal, before inletting it.  That way, there was very little brass to file off once the inlay was flush with the wood.  I hope that answers your question, Chris. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 11:48:21 PM »
But don't you have to kind of bend it around the curve as you go in?  Something like a thumbpiece I can put straight in because it doesn't curve around that much, but this curves and runs up the sides of the stock.

And your carving looks good, Tom.  Like that V tool now, don't ya?  Once you get the hang of it, it's actually pretty easy to do (though there is still ZERO room for error).  I've been working on a Lehigh gun, and once I got going with the carving I began to impress myself with it.

Oh, and how old is that can of "Archer" linseed oil??
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 11:50:20 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2009, 01:33:48 AM »
Stoph, That's a cool can . Copyright on it sates 1950. Found it in my Father in laws garage. It's still 1/3 full.  With the stock upside down I inlet the bottom of the entry pipe finial which sort of forced the "wings " of the finial out as they weren't inlet yet. I then scribed the outline on the sides of the stock , carved out the inlet and that got me pretty close.

I worked hard on tool sharpening on this rifle, including the V tool,  which was really important going across grain. That's when you know if its sharp enough or not.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2009, 02:09:24 AM »
You're right of course Chris.  Just as Tom says, even with the inlay curved to match the forend pretty well, as you inlet the middle part, the wings spread, and you just keep going out toward the edges.  On the Fancy A. Verner - RCA # escapes me now - there are piercings which complicates the inlet.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

brokenflint

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 06:04:26 PM »
Tom   Look on your camera and see if there is a small flower looking icon.  This is a macro (closeup) focusing length on digital cameras, most have this but not all.

Broke