Author Topic: T. M. Hamilton author "Colonial Trade Guns"  (Read 4894 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

T. M. Hamilton author "Colonial Trade Guns"
« on: June 16, 2009, 10:07:29 PM »
I admit to being out of touch with the world at large, so forgive me, but...

It dawned on me this AM over coffee that Mr. T. M. Hamilton author of "Colonial Frontier Guns" lived in Miami, MO.  Not far from Salkehatchie and I have relatives there.

Any info on Mr. Hamilton?  Is he still active in research etc., ?  There is a "professional" reason as to why I am interested in contacting him.  Something he said in his book.

Thank you.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: T. M. Hamilton author "Colonial Trade Guns"
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:25:36 PM »
If he is still living he would be in his mid 90's
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline tom patton

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
T.M.Hamilton , 1905-2001. He was the author of several books on guns of the early fur trade era and beyond.His emphasis was on archaeological material and has been misconstrued by various vendors and reenactors not realizing that their complete guns are generally conjectoral. Like other icons of his era some of his conclusions are somewhat dated.Nevertheless his research has contributed greatly to the sum total of our knowlege in this area.
Tom Patton.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 04:17:31 AM »
I met Mr. Hamilton at Fort Michilimackinac in 1971, when I was earning 3 credits by working as a student helper at one of the excavations at the site, the enlisted latrine to be exact.  Interesting gentleman, and has been said by Tom a lot of science, and theories have changed since then.  Found buttons, and a few musket balls, and in case you ever wanted to know, three hundred year old *^*%$ don't smell.  It was a great three weeks in the summer, the family, only two daughters then, but they performed living history in the Fort, while I earned college credits.  Mr. Hamilton was great at sharing his knowlege with us college slaves(I paid for the credits, and the camping, worked my butt off for 10 to 12 hours for 21 days straight)  I still wouldn't trade it for anything, as it anchored my love for American History, and this sport.  The most awesome sight was watching the fireworks on the 4th from the parapets of the Fort, and seeing them on Mackinaw Island, St Ignace across the straights, and Mackinaw City, all at once.  Life was good back then.

Bill
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 04:31:26 AM by Bill Knapp »
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 04:20:09 AM »
He is also the one who came up with the nomenclature for classifying the various trade guns; ie, Type A, Type C, etc.  There are people who think they were actually called that originally.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline tom patton

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 05:27:02 AM »
You are indeed correct and they are also the ones who think all French trade guns were Tulles.It should be noted that in earlier book,"Early Indian Trade Guns: 1625-1775"{1968}written under the auspices of The Museum of the Great Plains", Hamilton identified Types A-R
Tom Patton

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 05:28:42 AM »
Well there is a small museum at Arrow Rock, MO just across the river from me.  A few items there; locks, barrels and such.  It was a French outpost at first.  I know tha the French were there in the mid 1700's.  Also on the Chariton River north of there.  

I will wander into the other museums locally and see what is there.  The college at Fayette, MO I know has a Fusil barrel piece and lock as well.  Don't believe they know what it is, but it is obvious from the configuration, at least to my eyes.

I still need to get by and see a local private unpublished collection dating from Point Pleasant, WV time frame!  

Sounds like a neat guy.  Darn.

Thanks!

Michael

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 01:49:32 PM »
Salkehatchie,

As a new 'convert' to the world of trade guns I am interested in learning any information about them. Please keep me updated with any thing you discover in your research. Any pictures would be great!!

Thanks
Michael

Levy

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 04:13:22 PM »
Way back when, early in my career, I cleaned two large groups of artifacts from LA that were associated with the Tunica Indians.  Brass and Iron mounted trade guns were included along with many other artifacts.  Some of the pieces that I worked on appear in his book.  The left-handed fusil fin with the satyr wrist escutcheon was one of them.  I sorry that I never got to meet or correspond with him.

James Levy 

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 02:44:47 AM »
Michael, will do.  I think that I have permission to take pictures.  Just no names, locations etc. on the family heirloom items.

And still working on my South Carolina gunsmith folks too!

Thanks