Author Topic: Chadwick barrels  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Chadwick barrels
« on: June 16, 2009, 03:34:02 PM »
I have aquired a blank barrel reported to be a Chadwick barrel.  Anyone know anything about Chadwick barrels?   ???   There aren't any stamps or marks that I can see.  It's 4 foot, 1" x .50 cal without rifling.   I found a couple of mentions in the archives but not much else. 
Thanks in advance,
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: Chadwick barrels
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 03:43:11 PM »
Ken - I once had a nice used flint lock by  Bob Chadwick (marked "RW Chadwick Chadd's Ford PA).  I knew that he made locks, maybe in the 60s or early 70s and I believe was starting to produce some barrels as well but it never really went far.  Don Getz could probably tell you more. 

Guy

Offline Steve Bookout

• AF & AM, #59
    • Toad Hall Rifleshop
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 01:04:21 AM »
Ken, I have had 12 of them.  To discribe them, they were not really four footers and the ends appeared to be  just hacked off.  The outsides required a goodly amount of draw filing, but the iron was nice and soft.  It was easy to put a kink into them if dropped or rough handled before they were mounted.  I liked rifling every one of them and think highly of them.  Hacker Martin thought the same.  Cheers, Bookie   P.S., When you called me last week, I was standing in the middle of the Bear River near Colfax, California, panning out some gold.  You must be the Good Fairy as I pulled out the largest piece of gold I've found in the U.S.!!  Make sure you call me next year, too!
Steve Bookout, PhD, CM, BSM
University of South Viet Nam
Class of 1969
Class of 1970
Class of 1971

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 01:56:45 AM »
Just let me know when I need to be a calling.  You are sending my share right?  hehehe 
Bookie,
I thought I had read somewhere he used some special grade of steel that was close to wrought but I can't seem to find it now. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 07:09:23 AM »
Bob Chadwick is a little before my time. I know that John Bivins sought out his advice when he was getting started. He was a Hacker Martin type. A Revival gunmaker.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 03:26:49 PM »
I've not seen one of the barrels.  The lock I had was a nice lock considering the early "revival" period in which it was made - it was a convex faced  colonial style lock, real slender, about the length of a large Siler.

Guy

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 03:34:22 PM »
I never met the guy, but heard a lot about him.   Apparently he was into barrel making, lock's, and stocks....everybody siad he was really ahead of his time, but I actually never really saw any of his stuff.   I think Charlie Heistand or Stan
Hollenbaugh could comment on him, they might be more familiar with all of the things he was into..........Don

Offline rallen

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 02:45:47 AM »
My father has Chadwick's components for a longrifle kit that he sold back in the early 70's. He even has the assembly instructions. The barrel is probably a good 44" straight octagon .45". It browned up very nice. I don't remember it being soft, but, as Ken mentions, the muzzle does look like it was hacked off and yes, there are no stamps or marks. Very muzzle heavy.  He's thought of having it re-bored. The hardware was bronze and the lock was a convex Germanic, Siler style lock that was very narrow. Stan Hollenbaugh refurbished it some time ago. Not very authentic, but it planted the muzzleloading fascination in me.
Ryan

Badshot

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:16:56 PM »
My name is CARL KIRBY, I was a good Friend of Bob. When I was very young I work in his shop. He would have me ring his barrels with a brass hammer if it rang like a bell he would not use them. He and his wife were the best an great people. Anyone needing more information can call me at 302-545-9578.

Offline Curt Larsen

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2009, 10:09:01 PM »
My first build was a KY pistol using Chadwick's 13/16 .45 cal pistol barrel.   That was back in the mid 1960's.  As mentioned above, they required a lot of draw filing.  The barrels came with breech plug installed  and decorative circles stamped around the muzzle.  They had dovetails cut for front and rear sites.  He had a really neat little catalog.  I also bought a couple of nice fancy triggers from him.  I have a second one of his pistol barrels inletted in a stock that I never finished (but will one of these days, I promise).  Considering that DGW was the only show in town at the time, his stuff was true quality and a welcome option.  The pistol barrels are stamped R. N. Chadwich, Chads Ford, PA on the bottom flat at the breech.

Curt
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:10:55 PM by Curt Larsen »