Author Topic: 2019 Dixons raffle gun  (Read 1497 times)

Offline scottmc

2019 Dixons raffle gun
« on: March 09, 2019, 02:32:00 AM »
I thought I'd give everyone a sneak peek at the gun that will be raffled this year at Dixons gunmakers fair.  The first thing I'll mention is this gun is particularly special since it is the last barrel that will have Mel Hartranft's special touch on it.  Mel and his brother Paul have been hand rifling the barrel for the next years gun for many years.  Mel unexpectedly passed away last year and has found his way to the happy hunting grounds that we will all find eventually.  His smile and  friendly nature will surely he missed by all who knew him. 
The handrifled barrel is a .45 caliber and was swamped afterwards, making this a very light and well balanced rifle. 
A handful of us from the Lancaster Muzzleloading Rifle Association agreed to build the 2019 rifle.  I won't mention  names (except I am one of them) since I'm not sure if they would want that but the progression goes like this:
1st guy inletted the barrel, lock and single trigger.
2nd guy took Ted Cash pipes and filed them up to look authentic.
3rd guy inletted buttplate and nosecap and has done about 99% of the shaping and will stain and finish the wood.
4th guy inletted the pipes and tailpipe, hand made and inletted the sideplate and filed up and inletted the trigger gaurd.
5th guy will be browning the barrel, trigger, trigger plate and lock.
Greg Dixon will be engraving our club name on the top of the barrel.
In addition to the barrel and rifling, all the parts and labor are donated.  I'm not sure of all the donors but I do know the wood was provided by Wayne Dunlap. 
The rifle is geographically diverse having traits of both Lancaster and Reading influence.  Tickets are limited and cost $1 each.  The pictures were taken when I had it and was doing my thing.  If you are going to Dixons this coming July for the fair, you will want to get some tickets for this baby.

Remember Paoli!

Offline snapper

Re: 2019 Dixons raffle gun
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 04:13:55 AM »
well, why dont you tell us where we can get tickets without going to Dixon's?

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 04:20:47 PM »
well, why dont you tell us where we can get tickets without going to Dixon's?

Fleener
Ditto. I could use a nice gun I don't have to build.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline scottmc

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 01:07:08 AM »
I'll ask Greg when we take it up in the next couple of weeks for him to engrave.  I believe you have to get them through the shop.  Once finished, the gun will hang in the shop until the fair with tickets available for purchase.  I'll get some pictures of it with stain  and finish on it in the next week or so and then post them. 
Remember Paoli!