Author Topic: Gun Class Pictures  (Read 4158 times)

Offline Ian Pratt

Gun Class Pictures
« on: June 21, 2009, 04:09:18 PM »
 Thought you all might like to see some pictures from yesterday's gun building class at the Log Cabin Shop in Ohio. Our class meets one Saturday a month, so these guys are doing the bulk of the work on their own at home.

Ken Netting spent most of the day with us and joined in teaching the class. Here he was demonstrating barrel inletting using modified molding planes and other hand tools. Using his method he is able to inlet the average swamped barrel by hand in four hours or so.

An example of Ken's work, a fowler held by a visitor to the class

Bill Pachinger doing a little fine tuning on his hand made trigger

Jim Kibler working with Tommy Bruce. Tommy came up to visit last month's class and  ended up staying the whole day to work on his rifle project which he had brought along. We were happy to see him again this time.  His gun is coming along nicely, yesterday he got his buttplate installed and was moving right along from there.

An interesting horn brought in by one of the students

Our next class will be on July 18, we'll have an announcement posted soon with more information on it

« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 04:24:26 PM by Pratt »

J Shingler

Re: Gun Class Pictures
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 04:37:45 PM »
Ian,
Sure wanted to come up yesterday and see the talk by Ken as well as the rest of the guys. Sorry I missed it! Darn graduation parties. LOL  They should have known not to put it on a gunmaking Sat!!!
Jeff

erdillonjr

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
 Great pics Ian. See you at Dixon's. Ed

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 05:19:05 PM »
That's a nice horn!
A little work by a good horn restorer and someone will have a great York Co. screw-tip.
John
John Robbins

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 03:18:18 AM »
Ian, thanks for posting and again letting me jump in the class.  Next time you take pictures get my pretty side ;D ;D.   You and Jim do a super job with the class and it was great to have Ken there.  Just wish I had a little shorter drive but well worth the trip.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 03:33:13 AM »
I would like to attend a class sometime, just to observe, and watch, and ask some questions. Mapquest tells me the shop is a 3˝ hour drive.

Do the classes run all year long?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 03:37:14 AM »
Ian will probably be able to answer this a little better than me but I believe this is their second class that's been offered.  I believe a third is in the works for this fall.  Careful about going up just to observe, next thing you know you'll be borrowing tools and building a rifle!!  Ian usually posts in advance when the next class is.  Come on up in July for the next class.  Even without the classes going on the shop and rifle museum is worth the trip.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 04:15:06 AM »
Next scheduled class is July 18th.  Better check as the date nears just to be sure it didn't change.  We are there from 8:30 until 5:30  or so.  Store closes at 6:00, we start cleaning up around 5:15 or 5:30 depending on what we are doing.  Please come by and spend the day with us, very relaxed and easy going group of men.  Only one you need to watch out for is the guy with the dark beard
BillP

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 05:01:24 AM »
I have already been biten by the bug ::) I want to build a rifle in the worst way. Everytime I get the money together to buy parts something comes up around the house. I am interested in the types of tools used, and things of that nature. This site has been an absolute dream reading, and learning. But to actually watch someone, let alone a group of guys working on there rifles would be fabulous.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!