Author Topic: Chambers Stock  (Read 4599 times)

Offline frogwalking

Chambers Stock
« on: June 27, 2009, 03:12:21 AM »
I recently bought a Jim Chambers "smooth rifle" kit in 20 gauge.  I actually wanted a Virginia fowler, but insisted on good grain straight down the wrist.  They had this one in stock that is the same, other than the cheek piece, and that is easially removed.  

The question is this:  The walnut stock has, as requested great grain in the wrist.  The problem lies in the fore end.  Although the inletting for the barrel is straight and welldone, the grain in the fore end in someplaces must be 30 degrees off of the barrel line.  It is all tight and will look good when finished.  I am trying to decide if I should send it back for fear of weakness or keep it and enjoy.  

I have made many guns some from scratch, including lock, but most from either kits or factory parts.  I do ok in the quality department, but am certainly no challenge to most of you guys.  Let me know what you think.  I am not in a hurry as I am still working on a .40 flint rifle.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 04:22:41 AM by frogwalking »
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: Chambers Stock
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009, 05:34:17 AM »
First off, welcome.  Now as to your stock, if this is your first gun of this type, you have nothing to worry about.  The grain direction won't matter much in the forestock.   The barrel holds the stock, and does a great job.  These guns don't have the recoil, and shock of those suppository modern guns.  While the wrist grain is somewhat important, most kit makers are pretty good at positioning the blank in the carver to get the best you can expect.  I have broke one wrist many years ago, but it was an extreme drop of over twenty feet down a ravine in the dead of winter.  If your still wary send it back to Jim, and he'll make you happy, but I don't think he would have had it in a kit if there was any doubt on his part.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009, 06:24:18 AM »
Welcome to the forum.  I wouldn't worry about it, the makers of old certainly didn't. The only thing you'll have to do is consider the grain when cutting any moldings and shaping the forestock (go with it, not against).  Otherwise enjoy your build experience! 
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009, 07:52:00 AM »
From the standpoint of strength, the wrist  and toe are the most important. The forestock is simply a veneer. Even if you frequently take out the barrel for cleaning, this can be done with control and care.

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009, 03:43:43 PM »
Thanks folks.  I wanted to keep it, but this is not a cheap investment for me and if it was advantageous to swap it for another, then that is what I felt I should do.  For a long time I tried to buy a 16 ga bbl from a local supplyer, but he never could get one in.  My thought was to have someone else inlet the bbl and then do the rest.  The whole effort took 4 months and was getting tiresome.  When I found Jim's web site and saw their offering, I went with the 20 ga.  (My wife would not be able to  handle the 12 for informal skeet shooting.) 

I know Track sells a nice one, but for some reason I do not like the transition between octagon and round on their bbl.  I really do like the looks of the 46 inch Long Hammock barrel Jim (and Barbie) provide.  The shape is gorgeous.

I have two children and 7 grandchildren.  I found that the children were arguing over who gets the .32 caliber rifle I assembled in 1973.  I decided to build another so each could have one. My wife suggested I build one for each grand..........I didn't argue. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
Frog.........I would live with what you have, should be no problem.   In reality, the barrel supports the stock, not the other
way around.   It is extremely difficult  to work with a huge plank of wood and lay out gunstock blanks so that they all
have that perfect grain flow in all areas of the stock.  If you did this, you might get one great blank out of a huge plank
of wood.   The stock suppliers must be practical and try to get as many stocks out of a plank as possible.....that is how
they make their money..............Don