Author Topic: Carving class at the Log Cabin  (Read 7618 times)

Offline BillPac

• N. Ohio
Carving class at the Log Cabin
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:26:07 AM »
How is the class going?  Any pictures to share yet?
BillP

novice

Re: Carving class at the Log Cabin
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:07:18 AM »
The three day carving class held at the Log Cabin in Lodi, OH concluded today and it was a excellent learning experience. Ian Pratt and Jim Kibler are not only accomplised builders, they also have a talent and sincere interest in sharing their considerable knowledge and talent. I would like to extend my gratitude to not only to Ian and Jim but also the Log Cabin and staff. The participants were furnished with practice stocks, and given instruction from design to finnish techniques. There were discussions on many aspects of the art and each attendee had ample one on one tutelage, plus have all their questions addressed.
Thanks again Ian and Jim.
Gary Akers

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 04:16:16 AM »
I would also like to thank Ian and Jim. The class was worth the price of admission. I am greatful for all there help and also the log cabin shop to make available the facilities. It was good to meet you this weekend Gary. Tim Crosby has some pictures that he is going to post when he gets a chance. I hightly recomend the classes to anyone who has the chance.
Marc

Turkeyman

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:53:41 PM »
As usual,  Jim and Ian did a great job.  They took us from stock preparation to staining for special effects and finishing.  The tool instruction, techniques and knowledge are worth their weight in gold. 

Offline patchbox

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
I want to express my appreciation to Ian, Jim and the Log Cabin Shop for the opportunity participate in the carving class which I thought was a great learning experience. It turned out to far exceed my expectations. Thanks again guys.........................Chuck P.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 09:32:16 PM »
 Well...I have never been to any kind of how to class in the Longrifle area. I have got to tell you watching something done on a tape and seeing in in person is the difference between night and day! Jim and Ian are outstanding not only as practicing artisans but as instructors. My limited vocabulary is the only thing that keeps me from being able to tell you how intersting and educational the class was. There were 9 of us and the two instructors.
   I did come away with a lot of new knowledge, almost to much for three days, a greater appreciation of carving, a better ability to see into a picture, see it's parts and have an idea of how it was done.    
  Over the years, about 40, I have built sixteen rifles but never carved one. One class does not make me a carver but I think I  know where to start, have an idea of what tools to use and know how to practice. I think it will be quite awhile before I am ready to to work on a stock.
  Needless to say I think Ian and Jim are great guys and look forward to seeing many more fine rifles by them.

Tim C.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 06:43:44 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline zip ohio

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 02:05:01 AM »
Ian and Jim, and the Log Cabin Shop, again:  Thank you very much!! I really
enjoyed the class.  It was excellent!

Zane

greymount

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 04:30:02 AM »
I also want to thank the Log Cabin Shop and Ian and Jim for a great class on carving longrifles.  Even though my carving attempts were not great, I did learn a great deal of information on the art.  I currently know my weak points and now I can practice in those areas to better my proficiency.  You can't get any better than Ian and Jim and their work continues to amaze me.  Thanks again. Pete

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 03:42:39 PM »
 Here are a few pics. I have to appologize because I do not have all the names that go with the pics.

Tim C.

Marc T above and His carving below.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:23:34 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 03:49:46 PM »
  A couple more:

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 03:53:14 PM by Tim Crosby »

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 05:31:52 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback guys.  Tim, thanks for the pictures as well.  Think I speak for myself and Ian when I say I'm glad that the consensus seems that the event was worthwhile and people enjoyed it.  Some real nice work was done at the class.  I'm sure there will be more events and classes to come. 

Thanks again,
Jim

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 04:23:07 AM »
Looks like a great class to attend.   Looking at Marc's carving, I would say that Jim did a great job with him, his stuff is
looking great.  Eric Fleischer and I are still thinking about coming out your way, but probably not until this fall...just too
much stuff going on in July and August.........Don

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 06:44:19 AM »
I need to find a way to get out there.  Is that Marc Tornichio the buttplate forging man?  Real nice carving.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 04:06:19 PM »
I need to find a way to get out there.  Is that Marc Tornichio the buttplate forging man?  Real nice carving.

Yes it is. Here is another pic, this one has been aged a bit.

Tim C.

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 07:24:50 PM »
Thanks for the comments on the carving, but I really cannot take too much credit. I have to give credit to Jim and Ian. I tried to carve a couple of rifles previously and had very limited success. I owe much to their instruction.
Well worth the money.
Also, I don't know if it was mentioned or not, we were able to examine 3 original iron mounted rifles. one of which we took apart to view the internals including the set triggers. That was a great learning experience in it's self.
Marc

coutios

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2009, 08:59:22 PM »
A few more late additions....

Regards

Dave

IMG]http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t355/davek_2008/Miscpics012.jpgIMG]http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t355/davek_2008/Miscpics013.jpg[/IMG]IMG]http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t355/davek_2008/Miscpics015.jpg[/IMG]IMG]http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t355/davek_2008/Miscpics020.jpg[/IMG]http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t355/davek_2008/Miscpics021.jpg[/IMG]IMG]http://i515.photobucket.com/albums/t355/davek_2008/Miscpics023.jpg[/IMG]