Author Topic: A Northern Southern rifle  (Read 13943 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
A Northern Southern rifle
« on: July 10, 2008, 02:58:09 AM »
     I recently built the below pictured rifle for a client who has a fondness for southern rifles in general.  He wanted a nice piece of curly maple, stained dark and then rubbed back to reveal the curl.  The next thing he decided on was a 44" 54 cal. swamped barrel (wow, this will be a challenge to get that nice slim trim look.)  The client liked the forward recurving hook of Dennis' Glillespie trigger guard, ( a no brainer purchase  Dennis' guard.)   There was also to be a banana patchbox, but the style of the box and the rest of the gun was to reflect what i would build.   So this Yankee submits for critique by those south of the Mason Dixon line the Northern Southern gun pictured below.

"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: A Northern Southern rifle
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2008, 03:14:29 AM »
Dang!  Y'all did a real fine job on that rifle.  The photos are definitely going into my archive file.
Larry Luck

Offline gibster

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 03:48:23 AM »
Great looking rifle, one this Southern boy would be proud to own.  Thanks for sharing.
Eric

C. Cash

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 03:50:20 AM »
Wow!  If that don't make you want to whistle Dixie, I'm not sure what will! ;D.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2008, 03:50:45 AM »
Looks good Ron! :)

But I still like the Tennessee Mountain  Jaeger  style of rifle;)  That gun has taken its share of meat..and outshot me a time or two... or three... :)

Take care, Alex
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2008, 04:03:50 AM »
Ron...

I'll admit I don't know as much as I should about Southern mountain rifles but thats a really nice looking rifle!  The architecture flows very well, craftsmanship is first rate and the finish is awesome.  Nice poured muzzlecap as well...  Thanks for posting the pics!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008, 07:28:14 AM »
Like it. Love the angular lines. The big lock takes care of the big barrel.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 03:35:32 PM »
Ron - I really like that gun.  That crisp comb reminds me of the gun that has been discussed recently on the Antiques section, and some of the Bull rifle copies by Andy Mock shown on Art Riser's website.  The patchbox is a nice touch.

As a sidenote, a lot of folks might be surprised to see some of the original iron mounted mounted guns made (just a little  ;)) north of the Mason Dixon line in places like Ohio - some are really hard to tell from pieces made in the south.

Nice gun.  If it is for you I'm sure you will enjoy shooting it; if for someone else I am sure they will be very pleased. I would.

Guy

Mike Norin

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »
The color and the lines are smooth, and look like it is just wants to be held and used a lot  . A very nice rifle.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2008, 05:23:10 PM »
Beautimous rifle! I'd sure be proud to carry it! Well done!

Alex.....Tennessee (or Southern) Mtn. Jeager? Now my head's spinning with images & ideas! Got pics?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 05:26:03 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 05:42:38 PM »
Well everyone here says nice rifle and so do I.

I must tell you that the Southern Mt rifles (to my eye at least) were the workhorses and had more action generally than the fancy pieces that hung on the Judges/Lawyers/politician's wall.  Beautiful for certain but the iron mtd workhorses made most of the meat etc.  My 'work' includes a 'few' of these but most are .45s.

That said - I strive for a colour and finish just like your rifles but with a reddish undertone.  I rub back the wear areas which gives the rifle a nicer look rather than the same flat colour from butt to muzzle.  I 'try' to have the cheek piece a tad closer to the butt since I am long in the neck although a bit of a stock crawler when I shoot offhand....  I see that you found that the finish line oo your cut for the poured muzzle cap is critical to a nice clean (unfuzzy) line...

All this said now - she's a beautiful piece and I'd bet an excellent shooter on the line  ;D

flintman-tx

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 09:11:33 PM »
OH YEAH !!!!!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:55 PM »
We're yanking your Yankee privileges.
Andover, Vermont

Offline alex e.

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 01:57:54 AM »
Beautimous rifle! I'd sure be proud to carry it! Well done!

Alex.....Tennessee (or Southern) Mtn. Jeager? Now my head's spinning with images & ideas! Got pics?

Ron can comment .But he might be violating  the client/builder confidentiality clause ;D
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

S.Willis

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 01:59:02 AM »
Thats one purdy rifle and thats coming from a southern boy.  Very nice job!!

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 03:53:11 AM »
    Hey guys, thanks for all the nice comments.  Now, Rich, by yanking my Yankee privileges, does that mean that I have to go back to South Carolina and have a nasty Seargeant yell at me a whole lot again?    Tom, I guess I can quell your curiosity as to what a Southern Mountain, Lancaster Jaeger is.   (Alex forgot the Lancaster part,)    A client asked that I build him a nice little 36 cal. in the southern mountain style, stocked in walnut.   The only problem was that he was none too fond of the pattern that I had for a southern mountain rifle and instead opted to have the gun built on a Fordney Lancaster pattern, but with all the southern features.  He then provided me with a set of Jaeger triggers with the straight, nearly horizontal rear trigger.  I had a rather long Lancaster style guard from which I removed the rear of the bow, and the triggers fit nicely.   The client really likes the slim little gun; and as strange as it may seem, the darn Jaeger trigger gives it an even slimmer racy look.   The gun became known as the Southern Mountain Lancaster Jaeger.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 08:43:33 AM »
Love Squirrel Rifles. The whole idea of spending a crisp fall day in the woods with a nice squirrel rifle is kind of special. That is a very beautiful rifle. and some great photography. The only way that rifle would look nicer is if it had a few bushy tails beside it. Fall is coming and perhaps you would be so kind to update us at that time with a new and maybe slightly improved picture.

Pat_Cameron
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 08:44:42 AM by Pat_Cameron »
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

El Mac

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 06:33:18 PM »
Gorgeous rifle!  I love the lines of that one...

40Haines

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2008, 03:21:24 AM »
Well done !

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2008, 06:05:20 AM »
Lucky,
I really like it!  Nice lines and well made.  I think the patchbox is neat.
Thanks for posting.
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Don Tripp

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 01:04:11 AM »
To my way of thinking, there is some darn nice architecture in that rilfe and excellent detail. I am very partial to this style of rifle.

eagle24

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2008, 06:32:25 AM »
I don't think you'll find any southern boys that would'nt love to tote that rifle.  Very nice!  I love the line of the comb and you did a great job of making her slim.

BobT

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 05:13:20 AM »
Very nice indeed! I too have a soft spot for southern rifles.

Bob

Madcaster

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 06:42:00 AM »
 I like the background,adds a lot to the pictures!
 Oh,and a GREAT looking rifled gun!

40Haines

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2008, 06:43:59 AM »
How did you do that beautiful metal finish ?

She sure is pretty !