Author Topic: Glass Scrapers  (Read 1240 times)

Offline t.caster

Glass Scrapers
« on: February 14, 2020, 11:03:31 PM »
I've been scraping a couple stock recently and thought I would post my favorite scraper: microscope slides! I got a pack of them from Rich Pierce many years ago in trade for some wood. I use up 2 or three per gun project and still have a lot of them left. You have to be very carful when using the long side or they will snap in two easily. That's not all bad because it will usually render a couple of clean curved edges that are very useful.
Here is a tool I made to prevent the breakage by supporting the length of the slide. It's just a scrap of cherry with a saw cut in it.
I don't know where to buy these slides locally, but an ebay or amazon search brings up a lot of sources.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2020, 11:07:57 PM by t.caster »
Tom C.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Glass Scrapers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2020, 12:12:56 AM »
I’ll try that trick, Tom! I break half a dozen per gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2020, 01:55:33 AM »
 The neat thing about glass is that if it breaks it has a better edge on both sides than if it is scored and broken. 

Tim

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2020, 07:37:38 AM »
Yes, Tom, I’ll have to try the wood holder.  Great idea.  Rich also gave me a box of slides at Dixon’s and I have found them to be excellent.  Thanks, Rich!  I still use home made metal scrapers, especially in small, hard to reach areas, but the slides really work well.

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2020, 05:17:49 PM »
Oh yes, I also use an assortment of other scrapers.
Tom C.

Offline curly

• In GOD we trust
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 11:47:40 PM »
I've used glass to scrape stocks for years now. cutting your own profile is the way to go. I'm into stained glass to, so I'm used to it.

Curly