Author Topic: What metal cutting 30 tip blades for scroll saws?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
What metal cutting 30 tip blades for scroll saws?
« on: October 04, 2019, 02:21:50 AM »
Bought an old scroll saw and want to cut 1/16” brass with it. Advice?
Andover, Vermont

Offline rjpalmer

Re: What metal cutting 30 tip blades for scroll saws?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 10:37:03 AM »
I use Flying Dutchman blades from www.mikesworkshop.com at 1-605-582-6732, P.O. Box 107 Brandon South Dakota 57005.
He sells top quality blades for a little more than $3.00 per dozen and stocks a wide variety of blades including metal cutting blades. He ships promptly. His blades are imported from Germany and are top quality.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 03:18:02 PM »
Thanks!
Andover, Vermont

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2019, 03:26:18 PM »
 Not an answer to your question but I have been using my band saw with a 1/4" 14 TPI blade. It works great.

Tim 

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2019, 05:34:35 PM »
No bandsaw.....yet. After I retire and we move.
Andover, Vermont

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2019, 06:54:50 PM »
Rich,
I think it's gonna depend on your saw.  I can't cut 1/16" with mine, but can barely cut 1/32" if I hold it to the table tightly.  The larger size just bounces around and won't bite.  I think horsepower and stroke might be the difference.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 07:43:08 PM »
I might bust a few blades lol. Hoping to save some time. With a jewelers saw it takes forever on some patchboxes. With hacksaw and filing not much better.
Andover, Vermont

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2019, 09:09:12 PM »
 I used to use a scroll saw and depending on size they would really bounce around. Found if I used double sided carpet tape on a piece of hard board or Lauan plywood it was a lot easier to control. I still do it with the band saw if piece is small.

Tim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »
This one is from the 1940s and pretty stout. Blade retailer suggested packing tape top and bottom. Says it “lubricates”. So far I’ve got $32 in the project. $20 for the saw and $12 of blades ordered.
Andover, Vermont

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2019, 05:31:34 AM »
After reading this, I'm thinking about trying it, too.  I was thinking of a variable speed and running it slowly.  I've tried using a band saw for brass, and found it to be a great way to destroy a saw's motor.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2019, 08:01:07 PM »
 I have a couple of old band saws, and have cut brass with both of them, without damaging the motors. I got the oldest one (an old Delta Homecraft) from an old clock maker that cut brass clock faces with it. Oh, and by the way, I started looking for a band saw after trying to cut brass with a scroll saw.

Hungry Horse

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 04:08:48 PM by Tim Crosby »

DHS

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 10:30:39 PM »
After reading this, I'm thinking about trying it, too.  I was thinking of a variable speed and running it slowly.  I've tried using a band saw for brass, and found it to be a great way to destroy a saw's motor.

Brass should not harm a bandsaw.  I find some wood harder to cut than brass.  My saw is a 14 inch Tennessee built Powermatic.  It has cut a lot of brass.  Everything else in the shop goes before it goes. 

Online Hungry Horse

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 08:51:54 PM »
I use a ten tooth per inch blade ( not a skip tooth)on really hard wood, brass ( I’ve cut trade gun buttplates out of old brass 7/16th door thresholds), and even Catlinite (pipestone). Some of this stuff will cause problems with the tires on the blade wheels. I replaced mine with multi wraps of friction tape years ago, and haven’t had a problem since. The Catlinite, and sawdust from Myrtle gunstocks, will do you real damage without a respirator.

Hungry Horse