Author Topic: Quilted Birdseye Maple  (Read 1708 times)

Offline R.J.Bruce

Quilted Birdseye Maple
« on: October 04, 2019, 11:47:42 PM »
Question for the experienced builders and carvers.

Do you think a blank with AAAA grade, or better, quilted birdseye maple will work in a fully-carved Golden Age longrifle?

Or, could it possibly be too busy for all the carving?

Thanks for your answers.

R.J.Bruce
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 03:38:31 AM by R.J.Bruce »

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Quilted Birdseye Maple
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 11:50:29 PM »
Not something I would want to carve. Birdseye is usually best for a non carved rifle.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 11:54:11 PM »
My late friend Bill Brockway built a rifle stocked in birdseye maple.  He described it as, "the confoundest piece of wood that I've ever had the displeasure to work with."  To clarify, he had a lot of trouble with the grain changing direction and tear-outs in the carving.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 12:19:53 AM »
My late friend Bill Brockway built a rifle stocked in birdseye maple.  He described it as, "the confoundest piece of wood that I've ever had the displeasure to work with."  To clarify, he had a lot of trouble with the grain changing direction and tear-outs in the carving.

Sounds like some curly ash I know.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Robin Henderson

• AKA "Wobblyshot"
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 03:45:42 AM »
Just built a little 32 smr stocked in birdseye...gave me fits but turned out nice.
Flintlock is the only truly reliable source of ignition in a muzzle loader.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2019, 05:18:46 PM »
It is likely your stock will be hard and heavy. A good friend bought a Birdseye maple stocked Bedford rifle from the builder, at a rendezvous. It was very slim, and drop dead gorgeous. The seller said he elected to incise carve it, instead of relief carve it, on the advise of an old cabinet maker. He said when he prays, and thanks the almighty for good things in his life, this decision is one of them.
 By the way, a tannic acid wash, or two, followed by aquafortis or vinegaroon, will likely make this wood heart stoppingly beautiful.

Hungry Horse

Offline Daryl

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 05:39:39 AM »
Question for the experienced builders and carvers.

Do you think a blank with AAAA grade, or better, quilted birdseye maple will work in a fully-carved Golden Age longrifle?

Or, could it possibly be too busy for all the carving?

Thanks for your answers.

R.J.Bruce

Quilted AND Birdseye - WOW - looking forward to seeing that one finished.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 06:14:56 AM »
I have two experiences with birdseye/guilt maple - one great the other, not so much.
the first was a quilt maple fullstocked Hawken percussion rifle.  The wood was soft and punky and a real bug...to finish.  No amount of sanding would remove the fuzz, so in the end, I just went ahead and applied the oil - DemBart Oil Finish, and it turned out fine.  I made a handle for a broken spatula out of a piece of the scrap, and it was more flexible and tougher than the3 rubber business end.
The other was birdseye, and I made a nice pistol from it, in the French style.  I chequered the grip 24 to the inch, and it worked out nicely.

Two entirely different experiences with crazy wood.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.