Author Topic: 54 cal Isaac Haines Kit  (Read 2672 times)

Offline Tilefish

54 cal Isaac Haines Kit
« on: October 08, 2019, 08:07:23 PM »
I am looking for another 54 and really like the look of an Isaac Haines with the 38" C weight barrel . Was looking at the . TOW and Chambers kits. And was curious on which one you all liked better . Also any information on a builder who would be willing to finish it. I would love to try and finish it myself but my finishing skills are rather stone age. And I just can't bear to mess up a beautiful rifle.

Thanks again any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chad

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: 54 cal Isaac Haines Kit
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 11:00:20 PM »
Dunlap Woodcrafts also offers a Haines kit, comparable to Chambers.

http://dunlapwoodcrafts.com/component-sets/transition-isaac-haines-rifle
Kunk

Offline FALout

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 12:41:01 AM »
Chambers kit uses a better barrel.  I’ve got  the kit your looking at from Chambers in my shop now in the middle of a build, most all aspects going as expected.  Not sure of Dunlaps, heard it was good also.  I only buy parts from TOW, last kit I bought (Tulle) was an unpleasant experience.
Bob

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 01:24:12 AM »
Hi,
You can view details of building a Chambers Haines kit here:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/building-a-chambers-isaac-haines-rifle-kit.116533/

It may help you decide.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 01:54:24 AM »
Chambers kits are superior to most other kits out there.  NOT a snap together kit.
The only better (more and easily completed) is Kibler Colonial.
Not a Haines, but a very nice rifle, of the same general era, none the less.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline Tilefish

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 02:06:05 AM »
Thanks Dave for the link very informative makes me want to try and finish it myself. Thanks for all the feedback definitely going to go with the Chambers kit.
Chad

Offline taco650

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 03:20:53 AM »
Hi,
You can view details of building a Chambers Haines kit here:
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/building-a-chambers-isaac-haines-rifle-kit.116533/

It may help you decide.

dave

Very informative link Dave! 

tilefish, I've lusted after a Chamber Isaac Haines kit for several years but just don't have the $$$ to get it.  I've done three kits over the years (all cheap ones) and then I built my last one from random parts I got from ebay and other sources with the stock being a tulip poplar plank I had sawn out of a tree I took down in my front yard.  This last rifle has terrible lines and many mistakes but I learned a ton from the experience!  Thus, I STRONGLY encourage you to build it yourself!  You don't have to do carving and can leave the rifle plain if you want.  None of mine have carving but that's my taste and skill level.

Stuart 

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 05:20:06 AM »
With either of the two mentioned, you have the chance of making an architecturally accurate rifle.  Most other "kits" can't say that.
Remember, a Chambers kit is NOT a snap together kit. You will need a bunch of tools, and patience.
In His grip,

Dane

Offline flehto

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 03:02:27 PM »
Smallpatch is correct about what it takes to complete any of the parts sets, but some are better than others. I've completed 3 Chambers Early Lancaster   part sets  and all were made into nice LRs and have also used the Chambers  Haines Bplate and TG because  of their high quality on plank built Haines LRs w/ 44" bbls.  Prefer not to build any of the  Isaac Haines parts sets on the market ....don't like 38" bbls .....too short for a long rifle in my opinion. Shown below is a plank built Lancaster w/ the Chambers Haines TG and Bplate and has  a 44" bbl.....Fred