Author Topic: making an antler nosecap  (Read 2276 times)

DTCoffin

making an antler nosecap
« on: July 23, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Hi folks,I'm new to this forum and please pardon me if this has been covered before.I am putting together a transitional rifle and was playing with the idea of making an antler tip nosecap.What would be the best way to remove the antler material where it would contact the wood,ie the inside.I don't have have a lathe either so base your answer on regular ole simple man tools. thanks :-\

tuffy

Re: making an antler nosecap
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009, 05:22:30 AM »
DT --- It probably would have been better to post this in the "Gun Building" forum. But this may help. Just click on the link:  http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5068.0

Birddog6

Re: making an antler nosecap
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2009, 01:27:58 PM »
Since you are using antler rather than horn, here is how I did it.

I put the antler up against the forestock flush & draw a line around the horn against the barrel channel. Take it to the bandsaw & cut the center out leaving some extra to file down. Then I drill two 1/16" pin holes from the end of the antler into the wood of the forestock, parallel with the barrel. Take a piece of SS 1/16" rod & put in the drill press & spin it while sanding it lightly with some 220 paper to give it some small ridges to grip the epoxy. Put epoxy or accraglass on the horn &  pins & in pin holes & push the pins in.  Put a small clamp across the forestock about 3" from the end, put rubber bands from the clamp over the horn cap & back to clamp to hole it snug against the wood. Let it sit overnight & then take the bands off & staart working it down with files.  I put one on this way about 15 years ago & it is still on there & no issues.  You definately won't wear it out.