Author Topic: Carving patterns?  (Read 4990 times)

TinStar

Carving patterns?
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
Where could I get pics or drawings of stock carving patterns that I could trace or practice drawing?
Also; have any of you ever just carved your own design? Would something like oak leaves and acorns be appropriate?
Appreciate the help in advance!
Thanks!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Carving patterns?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:42:58 PM »
Appropriate for what?  different schools and periods of guns have pretty unique carving patterns. Study pictures of the guns you like and want to build, handle them if you can get access, then practice drawing the patterns you want. very early flintlocks had some Baroque designs but by the Golden Age the standard seems to be some form of Rococo, usually with acanthus vine/leaves... Now that doesn't mean you can't do whatever you want..depends who you are trying to please and whether or not you want a traditional looking gun.

"The Manual of Traditional Wood Carving" by Paul Hasluck is a terrific reference and tool for learning to carve rifles.

I have seen some Flintlocks that were carved with very unique and patterns with just about anything you can imagine carved on them. Where the carving flows and enhances the long slender look of the longrifle I think they are beautiful, just not too traditional.

Have fun!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009, 07:45:19 PM »
You can start by going to the virtual library and museum on the list of forums at bottom of the general discussion heading of this website.  You need to find Rococo art - oak leaves and acorns are generally from a later era than most longrifles but might appear on European muzzleloaders later in the percussion era.  

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2009, 08:55:42 PM »
Where could I get pics or drawings of stock carving patterns that I could trace or practice drawing?
Also; have any of you ever just carved your own design? Would something like oak leaves and acorns be appropriate?
Appreciate the help in advance!
Thanks!

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Oak leaves and acorns are 1940-50s stuff.
Buy some books on long rifles. Kindigs book "The Kentucky Rifle in its Golden age"  or "Rifles of Colonial America I&II and practice drawing. Inter-library loan is another option.
Drawing is far better than tracing.
Once you understand what 18th century carving is and should look like you can progress to drawing  designs you create using that knowledge.
You can buy or rent Wallace Gusler's video on carving a Kentucky rifle this might be a help. There are numerous videos by skilled gun makers that might help you.

http://www.americanpioneervideo.com/bkr.html

http://smartflix.com/store/category/77/Checkering-Carving
Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine