Author Topic: Restoring a Sami people prcussionsnaplock cal 8mm Rifle  (Read 2710 times)

Offline runastav

Restoring a Sami people prcussionsnaplock cal 8mm Rifle
« on: March 12, 2020, 08:55:07 PM »
Hi Guys!  Here is a litle

Offline runastav

Re: Restoring a Sami people prcussionsnaplock cal 8mm Rifle
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 09:03:53 PM »
Ops! Here is the rest ;)A litle pecussion snaplock rifle came from a  buddy from sweden, he means its a Norwegian made snaplock we for see.  The sami like small cal like 8mm, the lead was expensive
Runar

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 07:09:04 AM »
Wow, that is one interesting lock on that rifle!  Looks like a rifle made for business!  It demonstrates how resourceful folks can be when they have little to work with.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline alacran

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 03:59:47 PM »
That is an interesting adaptation of a "miguelet" lock. appears from the photo that the sear is at the bottom rear of the hammer. Very simple and shows the attributes of having a strong mainspring on the lock exterior. Very little mortising to weaken the stock.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline RJD-VT

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »
Wow, that is one interesting lock on that rifle!  Looks like a rifle made for business!  It demonstrates how resourceful folks can be when they have little to work with.

Curtis

I agree with Curtis. I might have to make one of those. One could also pretty it up some and call it an “inspired by Sami” lock.  ;D

Offline runastav

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 05:42:57 PM »
Hi and thank you guys!We think this gun is made by a sami in norway, it has a typikal Norwegian trigger pin see A in the drawing.The gun is from ca 1850, made as a percussion snaplock mot been converted. But I think the Stock is made much later and the Builder have make a mistanke and put a brass trigger whick work the wrong way. I made and monted a New one so aktivate back not frontoff.Here is some photos of wat I meen.
Runar

Offline yulzari

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »
Fascinating. Thank you for showing us this Sami piece. Very clever and very simple. Just asking for a roller or stirrup end. Birch stock I presume? What sort of date does this one have? What bullet did they use in the 8mm bore?
Nothing suceeds like a beakless budgie

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 06:22:39 PM »
Very interesting piece. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 06:29:38 PM »
Runar, a VERY interesting snap lock indeed.  Took me a few moments to recall that a lot of the Sami people are in northern Norway, as I generally think of them as being in Finland.

And reading in the photo of the book, I find that the Sami people had "lasers" way before they were invented, as in "snapplaser".

It is a fascinating lock, Runar- are you going to rebuild it, or make a new one fashioned after this old one?
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline kudu

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 08:41:11 PM »
i'm trying to get a handle on the sear for this Lock.

It looks as though a "Pin" is on a "Ledge/sear"  on the Back of the  hammer and is pushed out or to the Right when holding the gun and releases the Hammer?

Offline kudu

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 11:30:10 PM »
Now seeing closer,  and looking at the pics about 6 times , the inside spring is the sear, I believe.

It bends and goes thru the lock plate. seems as though it would have lots of "Trigger Creep"

Offline Daryl

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »
VERY interesting Runar
 Seems to me the Russian guns also had most of the lock works on the outside of the plate.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline runastav

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 02:45:50 PM »
Hi guys! and thank you all! Here is a photo of a Norwegian flint snaplock With Bergen Lock and hardanger butt made after a original. All you see is made from  scrath, the cal 66 and was made for raindeer hint.The barrel was the first one I rifler in my Iowa rifling bench(Thank you Bookie!) Guys, do you know why the Sami made the Stock With closed ramrodhole??? ;)
Runar

So why do the sami use closed ramrodhole? (I know why)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 04:05:39 PM »

Guys, do you know why the Sami made the Stock With closed ramrodhole???
No idea but will guess, maybe as protection from snow/ice freezing the exposed ramrod in thimbles??
Or maybe to keep rr dry so it doesn't swell during rainy weather?

Are they drilled all the way or just at the end and open under the barrel. If drilled all the way my hat is off to the maker :) :)
Dennis
« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 04:11:47 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 04:15:12 PM »
Runar,

I'm guessing that the ramrod hole design has something to do with extremes of temperature/moisture changes or getting snow in the hole. I can't remember exactly the issue, but I do remember that 20th century Finnish military rifles had the same slot in the cleaning rod hole as your snaplock.

What is the title of the book you show upthread? I've been interested in those Scandinavian snaplocks for quite awhile but there is virtually nothing available on them in English.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline runastav

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 07:51:19 PM »
Yes Dennis and Elnathan thats right!  The books is Yearbooks 2007-8  for members of the Norwegian Arms History Company where I am a member. Here is some photos and drawings I made in 2009 of my replika.
Runar

Here is the original I made a replika from

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2020, 02:03:53 AM »
I am VERY impressed with this strange-to-me rifle!  Thanks for the drawings.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline msellers

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2020, 07:24:38 AM »
Runar,
This is a very interesting piece indeed,  also thank you for the drawings. I would like to build a hunting styled pistol like thus now. Might be accurate historically, but would be a blast to have I believe.
Mike