Author Topic: Type of wood???  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Justin Urbantas

Type of wood???
« on: March 12, 2020, 11:09:16 PM »
I picked up this blank a few years back, and it was super cheap. Any idea what kind of wood it is? It is quite dense and hard. Thank you

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Type of wood???
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »
My guess is white oak. Should be very dense and hard. As a ring porous wood it is inclined to suck water from the end grain.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 01:28:19 AM »
Looks like white oak to me too.  Should be at least somewhat more stable than red oak (which isn't stable at all!), but will weigh a TON.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 01:45:15 AM »
I often use white oak for forming dies for making sheet brass into thimbles or buttplates.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 02:12:08 AM »
Would it be similar to work to  hard maple? Would an early colonial flint rifle  be out of place with an oak stock?

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 02:22:08 AM »
Seen once or twice on a Revolutionary War cobbled together musket. 
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 03:17:17 AM »
There is a fowler (NE2, circa 1725) stocked in oak shown in Grinslade's "Flintlock Fowlers." Has a great doglock on it.  Certainly not common though.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Goo

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 05:23:16 AM »
I think Spanish guns large bore miquelte locks used oak if I am wrong feel free to correct.
Opinions are expensive. Rich people rarely if ever voice their opinion.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 07:09:19 PM »
Would it be similar to work to  hard maple? Would an early colonial flint rifle  be out of place with an oak stock?

White Oak is rot resistant and you cannot blow bubbles through the end grain--unlike red oak (which rots so fast).  So I don't understand Rich's comment-all woods are "open" where the end grain is cut, but there's the structure of white oak doesn't work like a the straw-effect of red oak (and other rotty woods).

White Oak is often rich with medullary rays.

It's quite heavy, and more so than any Maple.  It's harder too.  Differences in density and hardness REALLY show up when using powered tools.  Don't seem that bad with sharp hand tools.  A white oak gun stock will be heavy like black locust or osage orange. 

Here's Louis showing the end-grain permeability of the two oak types.  (Yes, there are dozens of oak species, but all are either white or red under the bark.) 

NOT that we need any rot-resisting wood for gun stocking--if we did, we'd never use Maple!   It makes a big difference in fenceposts and boats and porches though.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 07:42:16 PM »
I have made a lot of objects from white oak, including boat parts.  Generally easy to work with, but a bit harder to get a good finish without sanding in the first coat or two of sealer.  Those pores are sometimes very difficult to fill.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 08:15:16 PM »
Well soak me in milk and roll me in cracker crumbs! Learned something about white vs red oaks. Thanks Wade!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2020, 10:50:38 PM »
That  video shows why whiskey barrels and other "tight" cooperage are never made from red oak.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2020, 10:58:59 PM »
I think I like the idea of building a composite gun with the stock, and doing some Kettenburg type aging.

Offline Justin Urbantas

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2020, 11:04:32 PM »
It's inlet for a 15/16" barrel. Maybe I'll use a fowler lock, a musket triggerguard, some rifle thimbles.  Just make it all interesting.