Author Topic: Water slide decals  (Read 1386 times)

Online Scota4570

Water slide decals
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:32:49 AM »
For transferring engraving patterns?  I see they are now about a buck a page and work on a laser-jet printer.  IF they are the same as come  with a model airplane kit they are super thin.  I am thinking of engraving through the film.  I am no artist but can trace and and can engrave well enough.  I just can not draw a tiny pattern free hand.  I can make it look good on a larger scale, then shrink it on the computer.  Has anyone experience with this idea?

Offline Bill Raby

Re: Water slide decals
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 06:54:12 AM »
I see no reason why it would not work. Give it a try.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 05:18:31 PM »
I think it would be easier to do than the acetone/ink jet printer way.  And a great idea, drawing it large and shrinking to the size wanted.  Much easier for the thin lines, for sure.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 08:03:03 PM »
In my experience, water slide decals are very brittle after installation.  I am concerned the decal will flake badly when trying to engrave through it.  I could be wrong, so it is sure worth a try.   :-)  God Bless,  Marc

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 11:54:03 PM »
Hi,
They will probably chip and flake off badly leaving you with cuts on the metal and no design left to follow.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 12:49:02 AM »
A good hobby shop or crafts store will have solutions to make the decals more flexible, and thus they wouldn't chip or crack.  When you are done, some of the decal removal solution would ease that chore.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Marcruger

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 02:04:43 AM »
From the smell, decal softener/set is mainly vinegar.  I wasted some of my youth building kits....when I should have been building rifles!

DHS

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 06:41:01 AM »
Will they even stick to wood?