Author Topic: CVA flintlock main spring  (Read 1428 times)

Gregory

CVA flintlock main spring
« on: March 17, 2020, 10:52:37 PM »
I put together a few rifles back some years ago.  I wasn't particularly good but really enjoyed it.  However life put other demands on my time and I put away the rifle I'd started.  A couple of weeks ago I retrieved it and started again.  It has the barrel, lock , ramrod groove & hole and trigger done.  It is a flintlock with a CVA "made in Spain" lock.  Cocking this a couple of times showed that the main spring is way too strong after the first one quarter of movement.  What would be the best way to remedy this?  From following this Forum I believe a replacement spring isn't available. 
Thanks,
Greg

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: CVA flintlock main spring
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 11:00:08 PM »
I’d first see nothing is binding. A real hidden issue can be an internal screw sticking out the lockplate and binding against the cock. Take the mainspring out and cycle the cock back and forth. If all good check the ski slope toe of the tumbler and the end of the mainspring.  Polished? Is there lube there?

Ok if no issues you could narrow the mainspring by 1/10 width and it would be 10% lighter. If you thinned it by 10% it would be 20% lighter.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bigmon

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 11:56:00 PM »
Greg,
CVA mainsprings are available.  I just bought one a couple months ago, though I can't exactly recal from whom.  I will check my CC records and get back to you.
Good luck

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 03:07:30 AM »
Got a picture of the lock?  They have several all of which are made in Spain.  Never heard of one being too strong, as most have the snap of a large rubber band.  I have some mainsprings and other CVA parts, but need a pic of the lock.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline longcruise

• Arvada, Colorado
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 03:14:00 AM »
Deer creek rifle works has them.
Mike Lee

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 03:46:11 AM »
I've worked on a few of those locks and they are usually binding somewhere. Check the lock plate for evidence. All the springs I've seen were weak, so I'm surprised yours is too strong.  Does the lock spark well ?

Gregory

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 08:25:20 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.  I have looked over the lock again and it will not go into full cock even out of the mortise.  This wasn't apparent when I started back working on this by installing the side plate.  I will next file the main spring as recommended by Rich P.  It's good to know the CVA main springs are available.
Greg

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2020, 11:28:16 PM »
Can you provide a photo and some measurements ?  I've got a bunch of different CVA lock parts from failed locks hanging around somewhere in the shop. The tumbler/ sears on a bunch of them were just worn out. If the springs would work for you, I'll mail them to you.