Author Topic: Pan ditch witch  (Read 1820 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Pan ditch witch
« on: March 13, 2020, 05:31:45 AM »
I picked up a cutter in a group of tools and it’s a sure-fire winner for cleaning up gnarly pan troughs on lock castings. Using an egg beater drill it was a 5 minute job. Not sure what to call this type of cutter except “winner”.

Andover, Vermont

Offline horsetrader

Re: Pan ditch witch
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2020, 06:01:19 AM »
That is a high speed rotary file. They can be had in many different configurations. and diameters.
Ed Radzinski

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2020, 06:15:43 AM »
Thanks. Cuts at low speed too!
Andover, Vermont

Offline msellers

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2020, 06:19:53 AM »
Just be careful of fingers and legs. Have a few scars from these catching. But I like it, would be a great tool for this it seems.
Mike

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2020, 06:58:02 AM »
Guys,

This is just like the 18th C type tool here: https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=54300.msg543289#msg543289

Be careful, it is quite easy to have the tool jump out of the pan if you are not careful.

Stuck in Katemu, Uganda,
Jim

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2020, 03:37:19 PM »
For me this one cuts much faster than any spiral type cutter I have tried before. I should have explicitly said that up front. Don’t know where to find this particular type which almost seems knurled.
Andover, Vermont

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 11:02:45 PM »
Anyone who carrys pneumatic die grinders should have the rotary files,that's what we used them in.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 07:10:17 AM »
Rich, have you tried McMaster Carr? They used to have an assortment of items but I haven't shopped there in ages.
American horses of Arabian descent.

Offline Dan Herda

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2020, 09:17:36 PM »
I would bet that cutter head is actually solid carbide silver soldered onto a steel shank. I've been involved in the manufacture of these and similar.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2020, 10:39:40 PM »
I got this set on sale somewhere for $39.95 but don't remember where.  They are carbide and are Dremel sized.  They come in larger sizes too.  I also keep a couple of 1/16" straight round noses on hand.  There is nothing better for removing broken screws or taps.  Much easier than trying to drill them out.  Mounted in a drill press, they will eat their way thru the material instead of sliding off center like drill bits often do.  MSC does carry them but more expensive.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 03:12:17 AM »
I’m good on cutters, was just wondering about my especially effective one. Thanks all.
Andover, Vermont

Offline TonyM

• Starting Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 07:30:01 AM »
When shopping for these cutters, the trades refer to them as burrs. They are used in the steel fabricating industry for cleaning up welds.