Author Topic: Made a cutter a la Mark Elliott for sizing screw blanks w/o lathe  (Read 1422 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
At Dixon's last summer Mark Elliott showed us how to make machine screws like colonial gunsmiths did it. And Uncle Jim has shown us here as well. I made a cutter today that works to make #5 screw blanks. With the quarantine I don’t have lathe access. This works. First time figuring how to cut teeth on a cutter like this. I didn’t go for pretty obviously. Consider it a prototype that worked.

Andover, Vermont

Offline borderdogs

Re: Made a cutter a la Mark Elliott for sizing screw blanks w/o lathe
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 04:14:23 PM »
Rich,
How did you make that cutter?
Thanks,
Rob

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 05:06:21 PM »
Rich,
How did you make that cutter?
Thanks,
Rob

Rob,
Step 1 was drilling a hole a few thousandths larger than the body size of a #5 screw down through a piece of drill rod. It is not perfectly centered but it doesn’t matter in this case unless I was making screws with wide heads.

Step 2 was filing the teeth. It took me 3 tries to figure it out. The cutter has to have teeth that oppose a clockwise drilling action. In my final successful try I made marker cuts like spokes then used a triangular file held with one edge vertical to start the teeth. It’s tricky because the file cuts cannot cross the center and the hole is small. I learned that for the cuts for the teeth to widen out toward the edge of the cutter I needed to file deeper there and swing the file to the side a bit. It was important to get all cuts outlined so one tooth notch leads to the tooth peak to the right. I know, confusing!

After filing the teeth I worried they might be of different height so I chucked the cutter in the drill press teeth down and ran it gently down into a diamond sharpener. That leveled and squared everything then I retouched the teeth.

Step 3 was brazing the cutter to a scrap piece of steel. I’m out of Mapp gas so used propane in a fire brick cubby. Took 5 minutes to get to brazing heat. I pre-flux with a fine mix of borax and water.

Step 4 was drilling the hole down through the base of “handle”.

Step 5 was hardening the tip of the cutter. I put the assembly back in the fire brick cubby and got the top of the cutter to orange and quenched in canola oil. Note that quenching temperature is under what it takes to braze, so the joint was not at risk. Brazed parts can even be pack case hardened because of this.

Step 6 was tempering the cutter to dark straw/purple by eye.

All in all a fun project. And it sizes rough filed screw blanks very uniformly though the surface is rough. My first attempt was using drill rod with the shaft filed square then octagon and tapered slightly. I bet it would cut mild steel even better.

I might make a series of these for #5-10 screws and maybe even 1/4” for top jaw screws.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:12:18 PM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 05:58:30 PM »
I've made a number of these hollow mills and never worried about making them pretty
or symetrical.Like making rotary files,the more irregular the better as long as the
cutting edges are facing more or less/sorta kinda in the same direction.
The teeth can be cut with a very small sharp three corner needle file.I have some Swiss
made ones that are really right for this work.
  Just called my young school teacher friend and she was in the middle of teaching an
online history class but she and her family are OK.
Bob Roller

Offline borderdogs

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2020, 09:05:45 PM »
Thank for the instructions Rich, very interesting.
Rob

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 01:42:03 AM »
Doesn't seem like too hard of a job to do, kind of adventuresome!  Don't even need bells and whistles.

Bob, Glad to hear that our teacher friend is doing well.  Let us know if she needs anything to help her teach.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.