Author Topic: Damaged Pedersoli 1766 Charleville  (Read 1788 times)

Offline JLayne

Damaged Pedersoli 1766 Charleville
« on: March 21, 2020, 11:19:53 PM »
So I ordered a new Perdersoli 1766 Charleville replica from DGW this week, and it arrived today. It came double boxed and packed in styrofoam by the factory. Unfortunately, when I opened the box and pulled back the bubble wrap, I found that the frizzen had been broken off. I expect it occurred at the factory before packing, as the boxes it came in showed no signs of damage. I see that DGW sells a replacement frizzen for the 1763 Charleville. However, the replacement does not specify that it is for a Pedersoli, at least on the website. Does anybody know if it will work on this model? It would be easier to have them send me a replacement part than for me to send the entire musket back for exchange.

Very disappointing.

Thanks,
Jay
Jay

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Damaged Pedersoli 1766 Charleville
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2020, 11:22:39 PM »
I think you could send the lock back and have them replace the frizzen, then return the lock fixed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:30:14 PM »
Yep. I agree with Taylor. Contact someone, show them the pics if you must, but I imagine they’ll get a new frizzen right out to you. Don’t let it get you down. It happens.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 12:27:34 AM »
After seeing your completed musket, I'm glad I ordered the kit. Is it just me or is that wrist mighty square looking?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:06:01 AM by Clark Badgett »
Psalms 144

Offline JLayne

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 01:34:25 AM »
After seeing your completed musket, I'm glad I ordered the kit. Is it just me or is that wrist mighty square looking?

You are right. It does appear a bit square shaped, as does the nose of the comb. I went with the completed version because while I have done a couple of longrifle kit builds, I haven’t ever owned or done any work on muskets. And with the Charleville, it is more difficult to find materials for a novice builder to reference during construction, versus longrifle build reference material, which is far more plentiful. One thing that concerned me as a novice is getting the forestock correctly shaped so that the barrel bands fit properly. In any event, I may do some reshaping/ refinishing on the stock at some point. I’m fact, I am following your kit thread with interest in the event I decide to do that. But for now,I’ll be happy if they can solve the broken frizzen issue expediently.

Jay

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 01:51:46 AM »

You are right. It does appear a bit square shaped, as does the nose of the comb. I went with the completed version because while I have done a couple of longrifle kit builds, I haven’t ever owned or done any work on muskets. And with the Charleville, it is more difficult to find materials for a novice builder to reference during construction, versus longrifle build reference material, which is far more plentiful. One thing that concerned me as a novice is getting the forestock correctly shaped so that the barrel bands fit properly. In any event, I may do some reshaping/ refinishing on the stock at some point. I’m fact, I am following your kit thread with interest in the event I decide to do that. But for now,I’ll be happy if they can solve the broken frizzen issue expediently.

Jay

I guess one positive about the finished musket is that it can be worked down easily enough. And if you want to do that, the "Springfield Armory Infantry Muskets" book by Kent Johns has some really good pictures, close ups, various angles, etc of a surcharged '66 Charleville to help with putting that musket on a diet. In fact TOW has 2 new books available that have original '66 Charlevilles in them, The other is the French Military Small Arms book.
Psalms 144

Offline JLayne

Re: Broken Pedersoli 1766 Charleville Frizzen
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 01:22:22 PM »
Yep. I agree with Taylor. Contact someone, show them the pics if you must, but I imagine they’ll get a new frizzen right out to you. Don’t let it get you down. It happens.

So, I talked with the folks at DGW yesterday and explained the situation. I told them I would be happy to return just the lock for replacement of the frizzen, or to take a drop-in replacement frizzen if that would be faster than returning the entire musket for exchange. The woman I spoke with was very nice and said she would talk to DGW's gunsmith about it and call me back, which she did not long thereafter. It was decided that before sending the entire musket back, they would send me a replacement frizzen to swap with the broken one.  I received a shipping confirmation later in the day which identified the replacement sent as a "Frizzen (repro) Dixie 2 Model Brown Bess."  Since I have a Pedersoli 1766 Charleville, I am hoping that perhaps Dixie's Brown Bess reproduction frizzen is interchangeable with the 1766 Charleville one from the Pedersoli factory? If anybody out there knows, I'd like to hear your thoughts. Searching the web for  an actual Pedersoli replacement frizzen specifically for their 1766 Charleville has turned up nothing. So if Dixie's Bess replacement does not work, the only option left is to exchange the entire musket.

Thanks,
Jay

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 01:26:19 PM by JLayne »