Author Topic: Ramrod reveal  (Read 4154 times)

billd

Ramrod reveal
« on: August 01, 2008, 01:50:13 AM »
I'm making a squirrel rifle loosely based, very loosely, on Fred Millers Fourdney pattern with an A weight 42" barrel. I have the forearm thinned down to where it's scaring me, but looks great. My question is how much of the ramrod should be exposed, looking from the side? It's a 5/16th ramrod.  Right now I have a little more than 1/2 exposed and it still looks clunky. My wood removal tool works great but my wood add-on tool doesn't so I asking for opinions before I go to far.

Thanks,
Bill

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Ramrod reveal
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 02:17:36 AM »
Scared is good.  Terrified is just right.  Suicidal and you have gone a little too far.
2/3 is what I attempt.  You are probably there or within 1/64 of an inch.  Your molding will slim the forestock and the stain will make it look thinner still.
Good luck.
Larry Luck

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:57:05 AM »
Drop that wood along side of the barrel flats to show a bit more than 1/2 the side flats.  That'll slim it as well.  Cut off too much and it just looks slimmer!

Last rifle I built had a band saw mishap in mid RR chanel.  Probably don't have 1/16 to 3/32" groove depth for a 5/16 rod and it looks GOOD.

If you think you took off too much, it could probably stand a little more.............................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 04:55:52 PM »
Last year no make that two years ago I purposely took the upper forearm web down v thin and showed 2/3 of the rod.  Entered at the maker's Fair and got docked for too 'shallow' of a groove....   Go figure I counted to 10 or maybe 110 and remembered that it is called 'judging'! ;)  The rifle is a nice one not fancy for sure but 'nice' ::)

No I did not want or intend to open  a can of worms abt the fair judging; but did want to answer the question.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:53:13 PM »
As I understand it, the judges there have some pretty odd ideas.

As a general rule, I go for about 2/3rds of the rod showing.  I start with the groove at half depth and then cut the fore end down.  I don't know what Fordney did.  I'm not that familiar with his guns. 

When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 01:45:23 AM »
Roger, I had half my rod covered and that was judged too much.  >:( Guess there's a pretty fine line there. The rifle I'm working on now I'll shoot for 2/3 showing.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
Maybe you guys could build an oval ramrod and just rotate it to what ever the judge's preference is that day.  :o