Author Topic: Chrisitans Spring build questions  (Read 1104 times)

Offline thecapgunkid

• Matthew 25:40
Chrisitans Spring build questions
« on: April 25, 2020, 02:45:30 PM »
Just bought the parts  kit  from Jim Chambers.  Any specific advice from guys who have done these in the past?

Thanks

Capgun

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Chrisitans Spring build questions
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 03:05:30 PM »
Just bought the parts  kit  from Jim Chambers.  Any specific advice from guys who have done these in the past?

Thanks

Capgun
  I'm assuming you are referring to the Eddie Marshal? You'll find it is incredibly big, so was the original. Look it up in the Moravian book. I think it is on one of the KRA discs too. And, use Shumway RCA as a guide too. Follow these sources for your dimensions, the only deviation from the original you might have to take into consideration is the barrel is slightly smaller that the original. I put one of these kits together some years ago and it went right together.
 This one is on my own bucket list, I better get crackin on it this year.... Better call Charlie Burton and give him the barrel dimensions so he can get going on it. I was at a big show somewhere years ago and somebody said to me "Hey pick that gun up and have a look at it Sonny" It was the Marshal gun. I ended up sitting down and studying it for over two hours. Very cool gun.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline t.caster

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 04:30:41 PM »
Anyone can put together a kit, but it is the carving that really sets it apart from the others. Pay close attention to the original carvings, they are very different from other schools and difficult to get right. If you are going to carve it, then stay close to orig. style or don't call it a Marshall rifle.
What caliber did you order? Have fun with it, it is a cool early rifle!
Tom C.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:16:19 PM »
I built two and will post photos when I get time. They are bulky in the wrist and stock. I didn't like the trigger guard so I cut it, reforged it and welded it back together. No I can't call either of mind Edward Marshall. I build them the way I like to and carve what I like.

Sam

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 10:09:02 PM »
I put one together years and years ago. I did not intend to copy the Marshall rifle because I could not do it justice. I was looking for something shorter to drag around the UP woods and found out that even a 54 cal is still on the heavy side. I simply refer to it as an "Almost Moravian style rifle".  JZ
JOHN ZUREKI