Author Topic: ALR Musuem: Wiley G Higgins Pistol ( You won't believe your eyes !!!!!!!)  (Read 5762 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Here is the very famous Willey G. Higgins Pistol. a Crown Jewel! Do we need to say more??? Just enjoy.

;D    ;D

Here is the  URL

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=5911.0

Proudly presented by The Library Committee
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:37:12 AM by hurricane »

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Re: ALR Musuem: You won't believe your eyes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2009, 02:48:40 AM »
The editorial comments are right on.  Wiley Grover Higgins (1799-1859) was not only a master gunsmith, but a unique American artist.  During his lifetime, he was known as a gunsmith, silversmith and furniture maker.  Wouldn't we like to identify a piece of silver or furniture by his hand?  Presumably, Wiley Higgins was making guns by 1820.  There are several extant examples of rifles which he originally made in flint as well as two known pistols which exist in original flint configuration.
I am a native Georgian and an antique gun collector for over 50 years.  For years when I asked collectors about early Georgia guns, they shrugged their shoulders or had fun teasing me by pointing to the plainest gun at a show, telling me that was probably a Georgia gun.  Over the last 20 years, it has certainly delighted me to see such wonderful work now identified as Georgia made.  But it is sad to think about the Southern material culture which has been lost forever.
Wayne Elliott
Wayne Elliott

Offline LynnC

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2009, 07:14:53 AM »
WOW, What a pistol - What a Knockout!

Never expected to see that!.....................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2009, 10:41:52 AM »
Beautiful pistol!!!!! Is there any information on barrel size and caliber?

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline nord

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 03:28:56 PM »
No physical details are available at this time. I can vouch for the fact that this is a very delicate piece. An absolute joy  to hold. A real gem!

The owner may or may not choose to share detailed information. If anything comes our way I'll post it immediately.

On to another subject while I'm thinking about it...

There has been mention from time to time about the quality of photos being submitted by some exhibitors. Fred and I have discussed this subject at length and concluded that even the poorest photos we post are of better quality than may publications... And in color!

We're beholden to the generosity of those willing to share their individual pieces of history and thankful for it. Some contributors have little experience with photography and less experience with computers. We've concluded that by setting standards we could discourage potential submissions in some cases. Better to have and wish for more than have nothing at all.

In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Tanselman

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 06:59:55 PM »
While I agree that setting standards for photography might be detrimental to our efforts, the real point here is: should we  provide a few simple suggestions that can improve the photographic images of those who would like to learn (after all, this is an educational site!) how to take more useful pictures, ones that are more viewer friendly and student useful. I think a little help through friendly suggestions would add a lot to the site's museum, and require little of either us or the photographers. Big gain, no pain. Of course, any picutre is better than none at all, so when poor conditions do not permit setting the photo up, we're still glad to receive any photos that we can get.

Perhaps a few friendly suggestions for the beginning gun photographer could include:

1. Background: A uniform, uncluttered background shows off the item best. A solid colored blanket, painted wall, concrete driveway, or solid colored carpet can often provide a good background. Try to avoid unwanted objects, strong color changes, strong lines, or other distractions, in the background.
2. Contrast: Background color should be light to create good contrast with the darker gun. Often more neutral colors like white, gray, light blue or tan, etc. tend to show off the firearm to its best advantage.
3. "Square" views: Angled shots of guns (where one end is closer to the viewer than the other) are hard to see details in, and tend to distort the scale of details. Best views are generally taken directly at, or over, the gun (perpendicular or "square" to the gun). Good ways to achieve this are to lay a gun on ground and stand directly over it, or hang on wall and stand directly in front of it.
4. "Standard" views: To ensure good coverage of a gun, it is helpful to provide "standard" views.
      a. For a pistol or smaller item, this includes a good picture of both the front and back sides of the
          complete gun, and close-ups of any unusual or special details.  
      b. For a long arm, three (3) standard views are normally taken: a full length picture showing entire
          front side of gun, plus two "half shots," one showing the front side of the gun from the butt plate
          out to about 12 inches past the lock plate, and the other showing the back side of the gun from the
          butt plate out to about 12 inches past where the lock plate is on the other side.
      c. Additional pictures: Other interesting details on a gun, including markings, stampings, signatures,
         decoration, etc. should also be photographed. These extra pictures are easier to see when photos
         are taken relatively close to the detail.    
5.  Lighting - It helps to take pictures in good light, either outdoors, or under good interior lights. Good light helps to show the smaller details more clealry, and also allows the camera to shoot faster to reduce slighlty fuzzy edges on objects in some picture. If shooting outside on very bright days, good pictures often result from photographing in shady areas, to reduce strong glare and shadows. There is usually ample light, despite being in the shade, when outside on sunny days.
6. Tripods - Tripods are not essential, but when available, offer greater stability to the camera (compared to hand holding) and therefore give sharper pictures, particularly when shooting in lower light conditions.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 07:11:55 PM by Tanselman »

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 07:47:53 PM »
Regarding pistols, I'd also like picture of :
 1.the top of the pistol showing the tang.
 2.The underside showing thimbels and triggergard.
 3. Good pictures of buttcaps.

Best regards
Rolfkt

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 04:40:07 PM »
What a great Southern pistol!  Many, many thanks to the owner for allowing the pictures to be posted.  I've seen the pictures in Jerry's book and had no idea it had the brass inlayed at the breech.  Really outstanding work. 
Does anyone know if the inlay work is Sterling or German Silver? 

Thanks again!
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
Ken, it's sterling silver.
Wayne
Wayne Elliott

Offline louieparker

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 05:08:31 PM »
I was told by the owner that the overlay on the rear of the bbl. was gold. Also around the muzzle. I have handled this gun on several occasions and saw no reason to doubt that stATEMENT. But I am certainly no expert on gold.  LP

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 06:05:22 PM »
Thanks guys! 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Collector

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 07:37:11 PM »
One of the most defining features about gold, in general, is that it doesn't tarnish.  Bury it, submerge it, handle it, store it, or use and wear it daily, and it still retains its original luster.  18K was much more common in those days, than we see it today, in the USA.

Ky Ken

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 12:49:17 AM »
What can I say, WOW :o :o :o