Author Topic: Repairing a Tumbler?  (Read 939 times)

Offline Top Jaw

Repairing a Tumbler?
« on: June 15, 2020, 10:06:38 PM »
The attached picture is an 1819 Harpers Ferry lock with the tumbler shaft sheared off at the lock face.  I don’t know enough about welding and or repairing something like this to know what is practical. I do know a couple of good welders.

I’d like to reuse the original tumbler part if possible  Is a weld repair of the shaft within reason for a repair?  Assume rehardening/tempering might be needed afterwards also.  Or  do I need to scrap that idea, and look at a replacement?  Currently have the mainspring released. 

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Repairing a Tumbler?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 10:45:12 PM »
I don’t weld. Most period repairs are brazed. If I was going to braze it I’d drill the tumbler axle with tge largest drill I could inside the square while leaving something to braze to. Then I would turn a piece with a peg to fit that hole and braze it in there. Then file it square then cut to length then drill and tap for the cock screw. The hole in the tumbler made to braze the extension in place must be bigger than the cock screw hole. You can’t rely on the braze to hold otherwise.
Andover, Vermont

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:57:16 PM »
It could be tig welded but then you would have to turn the shaft on a lathe and file the square. It is about as easy to make a new tumbler. A modern made tumbler from the same type lock might fit. I doubt if brazing would hold on that particular part  long.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Scota4570

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2020, 12:10:55 AM »
try https://www.ssfirearms.com/

IF not get some body with experience to make one. 

Repairing it is sketchy IMHO.