Author Topic: 1770s British Rifled Officer's Fusil FINISHED  (Read 18323 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: 1770s British Rifled Officer's Fusil FINISHED
« Reply #75 on: June 13, 2020, 03:25:08 PM »
Hi,
Finished!  The barrel is a D-weight Colerain Griffin fowler rifled in 62 caliber.  It was shortened to 39".  The breech is almost 1 1/4" across at the breech and it balances very well.  I browned it because during the 1770's browning started to become popular in Britain and it is a nice feature for a rifle.  I plan to get another Griffin barrel in 16 gauge to drop in as a smooth bore and that barrel will be polished bright and more typical of surviving officer's fusils.  The stock is English walnut stained with black dye that was rubbed off, and then alkanet root. The finish is Sutherland-Welles polymerized tung oil.  I built the lock from TRS series 569 parts.  It is a copy of a lock from an officer's fusil by John Twigg from the 1770s.  All the engraving was adapted from original guns by Twigg, Jover, and William Bailes.  The thumb piece is a copy of an original made in the 1760s.  The rifle represents a high end gun that might be purchased by a wealthy officer for service in North America during the 1770s and 1780s.  The architecture copies features of fowling guns from the 1770s with a little military influence as well.  It was a challenge to make but I am happy with the end result. I'll shoot it this week.  Enjoy the photos.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline alacran

« Reply #76 on: June 13, 2020, 03:45:53 PM »
That is quite an elegant rifle. I have seen a lot of the tang and shell carvings that you have posted in the past . In my view I think it is one of your best. I like what you did with the checkering, giving the impression of larger squares by having different depth to the lines.
Would indeed have been an officers prized possession.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #77 on: June 13, 2020, 04:00:05 PM »
Very excellent work, Dave!

Altogether lovely.
Not got my book here, so can you tell me where you got the sideplate design?  My mind says Joseph Alley, but I've been wrong before!
Think William Bailes was the first to produce the shell curling in from the right, and yours is a Lovely example!

Congrats on such a beautiful job.   Unbeatable I'd say.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2020, 05:18:07 PM »
Dave, that is a very lovely piece, very purposeful.  Everything about it seems to be saying, "Use me - I was built to shoot good and be beautiful as well!"

I have learned a lot following your build.  Never be as great at it as you are, but you have shown me the right way to do things - thanks!
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2020, 07:34:21 PM »
So nice, David - beautiful.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline bama

• Calvary Longrifles
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2020, 07:50:42 PM »
A beautiful piece, thanks for sharing.
Jim Parker

"An Honest Man is worth his weight in Gold"

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2020, 07:57:03 PM »
Absolutely amazing! No way I could maintain focus the way you do. BJH
BJH

Offline Dave Marsh

« Reply #82 on: June 13, 2020, 08:11:33 PM »
That is fantastic.  You are a true master.  Thanks for the pictures. 

Dave
"Those who give up freedom for security deserve neither freedom nor security."
~ Benjamin Franklin

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #83 on: June 13, 2020, 08:38:42 PM »
Another winner Dave!!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #84 on: June 13, 2020, 08:50:20 PM »
Well done Dave!!  Your picture of the tang and carving demonstrates the wonderful attention to proportion that makes this rifle special.  And nicely finished too.  thanks for this great ride.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline TommyG

• "Double Trouble"
« Reply #85 on: June 13, 2020, 11:45:34 PM »
Beautiful piece Dave.  Your engraving design and execution skills never cease to amaze.

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #86 on: June 13, 2020, 11:54:27 PM »
Another excellent piece!  Your attention to detail is amazing!  I hope you have it at Dixon's next year, I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2020, 03:02:47 AM »
Hi and thank you all,
I appreciate the comments. I worked hard on this one and I have to admit, it is a bit of a fantasy piece because there was no standard to work from unless I copied an original example.  But I did my homework and arrived at a plausible design.  There were a few rifled fusils but the vast majority known were smooth of carbine or musket bore.  However, because there is no standard pattern, I made up a story for what a wealthy lowland Scot officer might order from a good London or provincial maker.  The Scottish heritage is from the tiny thistle engraved on the butt plate frame.  The bent arm with sword on the side plate indicates courageous leadership. The rest of the engraving is classic English rococo.  Richard, the shell is from a Bailes gun. He was one of the greatest in my opinion but he suffered from the poor payment behavior of his wealthy clientele.  The side plate was used by Verncomb, Ketland, and several others.  Mine is different in that I left a solid shield of brass in the center rather than open loops of rope.  That gave me the opportunity to engrave the bent arm.  I am always inspired by the past artists but I attempt to display my understanding of their work by creating designs of my own that seem unambiguously derived from those historical roots. The lock is interesting.  It is set up just as the original it is based on.  Note the flint jaws do not over lap the pan very much.  Also note the face of the frizzen is almost flat, no arc.  It took me a bit to figure this out. The parts were cast from an original lock complete with wear. After cleaning up the cast frizzen and its casting imperfections, it was very thin and light.  After looking at original Twigg locks, I knew that thinness was wrong.  So I soldered a thick hardened sole on the frizzen and I suspected the flat thick surface would work with the flint cock geometry to create great performance.  I am was completely correct and the lock produces sparkler sparks right in the pan.  It has the advantage that the flint is not right in the pan explosion and should remain cleaner longer.  It taught me that there is more than one way to skin a cat as long as you understand the physics.  This is priceless knowledge.

Thanks again for your comments and interest in my work.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Pukka Bundook

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2020, 05:23:06 AM »
Thank you for the great write-up and expalanations Dave.

Very well thought out and executed.
Very interesting re. the peascod (spelling) type hammer or frizzen.  Thanks for that, wonderful information.

You know, Verncomb of Bristol was the other choice on my mind for that sideplate, yet I dismissed him as I seem to recall he engraved his name on the Inside
of the lock;    Right now,  I can't think Why this made me dismiss him for the sideplate!
( I did  see a Verncombe at auction once, no name on outside of lock.)
Again, thank you Dave, for this inspiration and great thoughts you have shared with us.

Richard.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2020, 05:35:14 AM »
"The bent arm with sword on the side plate indicates courageous leadership."  This is the bent right arm with sword on the MacFarlane coat of arms.
Loc Sloy was the the-battle cry.  This precedes the period of the officer;'s Fusil, but oh well.
Our Mom was a MacFarlane.

Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V