Author Topic: Longrifles of North Carolina by Shumway question  (Read 3062 times)

Offline moodyholler

Longrifles of North Carolina by Shumway question
« on: August 04, 2008, 02:21:23 AM »
I have a first edition of this book and a gentleman south of here keeps trying to trade me out of it. He keeps telling me it has much less info than the second edition. Is this true? Thanks for your help. I hope I posted in proper place. Could not decide which topic was proper. Thanks, moodyholler

Offline T*O*F

Re: Longrifles of North Carolina by Shumway question
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:38:49 AM »
It depends on what you want.  1st editions are always more valuable than subsequent editions.  However, most later printings always have additional information in them which was discovered in the interim.

Sounds like he's trying to trade you out of a first edition.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

PINYONE

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 04:33:50 AM »
Well I would tell the guy if it doesn't have enough information- I sure wouldn't want him to have it for his own good. I have the second edition, wouldn't sell it- when I got it in 1988 I stopped by John's for a couple of days and got him to personally sign it for me, he told me that he didn't even have one. While there John gave me a bunch of his bussiness cards for Architectural Carving to drum up some projects for him. His cards are extremely scarce if you can find one- I gave his old friend Wallace Gusler 3 of them, he didn't know John had them. I keep the rest in my book. You should let the guy get a second edition, they are not going to make any more first. There hsan't been much to surface since the first anyway. PINYON

Offline gibster

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 04:57:26 AM »
I have a copy of the second edition and at one time, had a copy of the first addition.  The only additional information is an Appendix C which is a total of 22-pages.  In these pages, there are 11-additional rifles.  Great pictures of them along with information on the makers.  It also includes dimensional information on the rifles.  For me, I was wanting a book for reference material, not collectability which is why I sold mine and got the second addition.  I guess it just boils down to what you are wanting, more info, or collectability.  If you want both, keep what you have and buy the other one for reference and put the first addition back for safe keeping.
Gibster