Author Topic: Simon Lauck rifle help  (Read 1970 times)

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

Simon Lauck rifle help
« on: July 07, 2020, 04:46:55 PM »
I have finished up several projects that were waiting to happen for many years and am now almost ready to move on to my next build.  Historically, I am a direct descendant of Daniel Womelsdorf who founded Womelsdorph, Pennsylvania.  So my first build was a Bonowitz.  The next ones were mostly Becks who I am partial to his style.  So, one of Dans sons moved to Winchester Virginia, which is still my line, and that got me looking into building a Simon Lauck gun.  So started doing a lot of research and not finding much that I need.  Bought the book Gunsmiths of Virginia and I like the gun on page 85 however, there are not enough pictures or any specifications. I don't process the greatest of artistic abilities but to those that don't build, they really like the finished products and I am happy with the results.  That being said, I need a lot of direction such as pictures and dimensions and such. 
Those of you who know Wallace Gusler, know he has what I need but, and this has me worried for him a bit, I cannot get a reply lately either via email or phone.  Hopefully, all is well with him and he is just busy building.  We did talk quite a bit and I was actually planning on visiting him until this Covid-19 hit hard and put that trip off.
So, does anyone out there have pix and specs for S. Lauck's?  Not too interested in the one with the patched wrist.  That one may be a little too aggressive for my skills anyway.
Thanks in advance,
Michael
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Re: Simon Lauck rifle help
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »
Peter Alexander's book, The Gunsmith of Grenville County, has dimensions and several black and white photos of a Simon Lauck rifle. Should be just what you need if you can locate a copy. If you can't, I can help out with dimensions, but I don't think the picture would scan very well. Some of them aren't that clear to begin with.

Dale H

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2020, 01:34:38 AM »
KRA cd" Longrifles of the Shenandoah Valley."

Offline VP

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 02:15:36 AM »
Michael,

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation sells CD's with rifle photos. We have three different CD's  with Simon Lauck rifle photos. The one previously mentioned, "Rifle of the Shenandoah Valley", 50th Best of Show, and Southern Rifles. Each rifle has ten to twelve high resolution photos of each rifle that you can utilize in your build. Go to the store on our website, www.kentuckyriflefoundation.org, and you can see the listing for each CD.

VP

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 02:32:14 AM »
Gusler was on the forum a week or two back, if that eases your worry any.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 01:42:06 PM »
Michael,

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation sells CD's with rifle photos. We have three different CD's  with Simon Lauck rifle photos. The one previously mentioned, "Rifle of the Shenandoah Valley", 50th Best of Show, and Southern Rifles. Each rifle has ten to twelve high resolution photos of each rifle that you can utilize in your build. Go to the store on our website, www.kentuckyriflefoundation.org, and you can see the listing for each CD.

VP
And there is your best answer.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 02:36:57 PM »
I sent you a PM
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2020, 03:01:32 PM »
Michael,

VP

Plus you can use a photo editor (I use Gimp) to enlarge a photo (I crop the rear 22 inches to work with) use the LOP you want finished gun to be, then scale the rest in proportion to the LOP.  If your printer will not handle 22 inch paper get OfficeMax or Kinko to print out the photo full size.

This gives a good template for the butt/lock panel area. Forearm/stock should be pretty easy to freehand.
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »
Michael,

VP
And there is your best answer.

Actually, I DID just order that CD a week or so ago.  Due to arrive soon.  Thanks
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »
I sent you a PM

PM'd you back, Thanks
Cheers, Michael Kuriga