Author Topic: Dixon's  (Read 20546 times)

Offline Joe Stein

Re: Dixon's
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2008, 10:16:31 PM »
Dixon's was awesome. I went with my father and brother for all three days.  it was like Christmas for three days.  I met some ALR people, bought too much stuff and sat in on some good seminars, including Acer's.  I had to pass up Eric's, but I did get to meet him.  It was good to see Paul B. there after having his surgery.  All in all a great time. 
Thanks to all who worked hard to put it on, and to all the presenters and others who so willingly share their knowledge and expertise with the rest of us.

Joe

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2008, 10:28:40 PM »
I had a great time hanging around with the ALR gang!  I am lucky in that Dixon's is only 110.4 miles from my house.  But it ain't the same without the gunmaking fraternity that assembles during the fair.

Yes, there is news at this end; after a long string of green ribbons I finally got a yellow one!  I will post some pictures of my Bucks County squirrel rifle later this week.  It is a watershed rifle for me - the best I have ever done. And I came home fired-up to get going on the next!

I came home with a new lock and a blank and Ollie talked me into stopping a Dietrich's for some smoke pig snouts - he loves them!

Best Regards to all,

John Cholin

Offline AMartin

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2008, 12:38:28 AM »
I know what you mean Tom ............. holy moly time flies when you're having a ball ......... Good meeting all the nice folks ...... putting a few more faces with the names on the ALR !!

Acer ..... my son Ben loves his new burger bank ....... er penny bank ........ my guts still hurt from laughing so hard !! Some freakin day bud ...... you're gonna get it !!

Ted is already scheming ways to get along with next year ....... thanks for baby sitting this weekend Acer ..
Him and Jesse hit it right off ...... bring Jesse along to Lewisburg and perhaps they could compare engraving & gunbuilding ideas !! Ha !!

But the weekend was all there ....... nice rifles , new rifles , good food , meeting all old & making new friends and sharing & receiving new knowledge !! And that is what it's all about !!

God Bless all ........

Allen Martin

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2008, 01:01:21 AM »
Amen, brother.

Jesse and Ted were like two peas in a pod. Then they found Chris Atland jr. and they turned into piranhas, gobbling up all the evil ideas Chris gave them about knives and guns and powder horns. Late Sunday, I see Ted and Chris off in a corner by themselves.........secretly filing away on their powder horns.

By the way, young Chris won a ribbon on the horn he submitted. Atta boy, Chris. When I saw him after the award ceremony, he was fit to burst.

Bring it on!

You hit it right on the head, Allen: God bless all.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Berks Liberty

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2008, 03:44:44 AM »
It was nice to get back down to Dixon's it only took me three years.  I was there Friday and Saturday.  I decided to take my 8 yr old son on Saturday he sat with me during Allen Martin and Ron Gable's Seminar.  Very good guys.  I just wish I would have had more time to pick some brains.  Maybe some other time.  Allen you inspired me to build a rifle to enter next year.  Hopefully everything comes together.  Thanks. 

Also my son made a comment that made me smile.  He said "Dad there are a lot of nice people here!"  I tip my hat to everyone involved who can make an event like the Gunmakers Fair so nice to bring a child to.  Big Thanks!!!

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2008, 04:06:41 AM »
AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ..... I"m dying with envy!  I'd trade my soul to have been there.  Oh, wait a minute, I already traded my soul for that pretty little redheadin grade 11!  Oh well.  Sure wish I could have been there!
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

J Shingler

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2008, 05:23:35 AM »
I can concur. What a blur! 480 miles out and then three days of intense tips, ideas, things I just got to try!  The best of all though is the friendship. I want to thank each and all for another great Dixons. To many great things to list and I think I am still bloated on Prime Rib. LOL! That was half a cow Fri night.   

Got home about midnight Sunday night after a hard 9 hr run. Hard to get up for work the next day after playing so hard LOL! Can not wait till next year.

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2008, 07:42:08 AM »
Why would anyone want to hang out in a place like this?

AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2008, 07:44:22 AM »
One more

AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

lew wetzel

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »
more,more,more pics....no wonder i was in such a bad mood mowing my grass this weekend.

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2008, 07:53:36 AM »
Last picture.
This was in the lower tent.
Apparently some people think this is a good place to hang out.
This was early Friday before it got busy.

AMERICAN LONGHUNTER

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2008, 08:08:40 AM »
Maybe just a few more that this is the last ones.
It is all I have.

AMERICAN LONGHUNTER

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2008, 02:00:45 PM »
Terrific Pat!!! It linda helps relieve the pain from not being there this year.

Thanks
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2008, 03:15:30 PM »

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=533.0

no new pics, unless you haven't seen them yet.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2008, 06:13:26 PM »
How come I was there two days, met lots of people, went through every tent 43 times and STILL see things in those photos that I either missed or don't remember?!?!   :o
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2008, 08:44:10 PM »
Tim, your first picture is Larry Luck on the left, and Jim Filipski on the right. I hope you guys got to see the Fordney that Larry built. Exquisite workmanship, especially on the wrist chequering.

nthe10ring

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2008, 01:26:11 AM »
I sure would have loved to have been able to pick through that pile  of horns.

Jerry Fisher

Offline Jim Filipski

• Jim W. Filipski  Flintlocks
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2008, 02:58:30 AM »
Ok Here are a few from Friday:
George Finke and Eric

B J Habermerle, Tom, and Roger Vincent
" Associate with men of good quality,  if you esteem your own reputation:
for it is better to be alone than in bad company. "      -   George Washington

"A brush of the hand
of Providence is behind what is done with good heart."

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2008, 04:41:41 AM »
Wow looking through all the pictures, start the count down for next year.
Kunk

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »
I sure would have loved to have been able to pick through that pile of horns.

Jerry Fisher

On Fri they were 2 for $25, Sat they went to 3 for $25 and they said they would reduce them more on Sunday. We had to leave midday Sat or I would have negotiated for the remainder Sunday afternoon....if there were any left.

Tim C.

don getz

« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the pictures.  I hope you all "sweated" thru it, in the meantime, I was in "Alaska".  I saw the sun on two occassions, the rest of the time it was overcast , and/or raining.  Someone up there also told me that they have had two
days where the temperature got above 70.  It was cold and miserable.  Sure is some beautiful country, too bad it was so
dreary most of the time.  Even when we were on the cruise part of the trip, you could not stand outside and watch for
whales, or similar critters...just too windy and cold, and wet.   On one of our side trips we did catch an old sow grizzly with two cubs, about 50 yards from the road.  Also saw sheep and goats, at a great distance. several nice bull moose,
a few caribou, and of course a lot of tweetie birds and eagles.   Now I can fully understand why Taylor, Brian and Cody
want to return to Penna..........Don

Paul Mc

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2008, 04:04:17 AM »
Ditto  Ditto Ditto

First time at Dixon's - over 1,500 miles from San Antonio - worth it and then some! Great guns, great people ( quite a few characters), and a lot of learnin.  I was like a mad dog in a meat market.   The guys all did great jobs with their seminars - thanks one and all. 

Had so much fun I almost forgot to take pictures. Glad someone did.

Can't wait for next year.