Author Topic: Strong affection for a lock  (Read 4827 times)

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Strong affection for a lock
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2020, 03:19:07 AM »
Dear Bob,
I cannot tell you how grateful I am for your scholarship and books.  You educated me more than anyone in the last decade about the details of our early gun trade and that within the context of our social and economic history. You provide understanding and not just narrative. As one educator to another, I thank you! 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline blienemann

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2020, 07:02:45 PM »
Dave, as you demonstrate, the best part of learning about the old rifles and their makers, from study and from trying to recreate them, is to turn around and share that info with others.  Thanks, Bob 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2020, 04:03:21 AM »
Hi,
The lock is finished. I case hardened the plate, cock, top jaw, and frizzen, polished all the surfaces and tuned the springs. Before hardening, I had to re-engrave the crown and border lines because they were mostly wiped out during polishing. The lock is a beauty and functions very well.

Notice how all the internals are crisp and sharp with temper blue colors showing on the sear and tumbler. That is how a pristine original would look. Below are some spark tests with a well used and dull flint. This baby won't fail.

dave

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline blienemann

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2020, 11:27:39 PM »
Dave, thanks for the final look at this lock, and the damage it does!

Somewhere I came across this photo of another Tower lock from 1742.  This one on a pistol.  You probably have to hang on to the pistol and follow through on point of aim, when you pull the trigger on all that torque.  Thanks again for the journey.  Bob