Author Topic: Rice hooked breech and tang  (Read 2475 times)

Offline RAT

Rice hooked breech and tang
« on: September 12, 2020, 04:07:16 AM »
Has anyone here used the English style breech and tang sold by Rice barrel co.? It doesn't appear on their website but Jason told me about it on the phone yesterday. They've been producing for a few months.
Bob

Offline Justin Urbantas

Re: Rice hooked breech and tang
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 09:37:16 AM »
Is it a flint breech?

Offline rick/pa

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 04:54:40 AM »
I bought Rices 31" barrel that came with this breech plug and tang installed but pulled it and put on a hooked breech and plug from TOTW because I want to use keys and be correct for an English rifle.  It's not a bad looking plug and tang if you don't mind not having a hooked breech. My first thought was to cut off the plug part and use the tang to make a standing breech using the hooked plug from TOTW but in the end it was easier to just buy both parts and not worry about trying to fit the other two together. I even thought about buying a bolt from the hardware store and using it to make the hooked plug and eliminate trying to time the plug to the standing breech but gave up the idea. It wasn't that hard to time the bought plug to the standing breech anyway.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 05:12:48 AM by rick/pa »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 02:06:35 PM »
Hi,
You mean Rice is making a fake hook and tang breech?  Why?  Why not just make a good hook and tang?

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 03:03:34 PM »
I would bet a dollar to a donut that is Rod England's Alex Henry combo without the provision for the tang sight.  Jason makes Rod's barrels as well.  Rod hangs at his booth at Friendship.  Most guys, unlike Curtis, install their own tang sights and wanted a blank tang.  I used to cut the ears off and weld up the hole prior to this availability.  I bought one of them last year.  It's not a fake, but so closely fitted together that you have to hammer the parts apart to separate them and then do a little file work so they separate easily.

Of course, this is speculation based on clues.  Jason probably saw an opportunity since TOTW has cut back on their offerings.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
On a long range rifle,ANY wiggle at all will affect accuracy just like a sight adjustment.
I have what might be the last of the Don Brown hook breech plugs and there is no wiggle
or wobble and that is the way all hook breeches should be.I was thinking about making a few
4 screw Stanton style locks to match this particular breech but doubt if I will.The set triggers
keep me as busy as I want to be.Maybe someone with a CNC system can make a correct lock
for these English rifles.
Bob Roller

The Don Brown breech I have has the "ears" for a tang sight and Mike Neumann in South Africa
made sights for it and maybe still does.I  have made 2 or 3 of these since 1987 when Don Brown
became known in an article by John Bivins and published in the February Muzzle Blasts with a fine
color picture on the cover.I made one for my own rifle and 2 more for a man in Germany----maybe.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 07:32:12 PM by Bob Roller »

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 05:58:54 PM »
Pictures needed
Andover, Vermont

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 07:11:06 AM »
My guess is that TOF is onto something with his comments.  The tang and breech on mine were so tight I had to lock the breech in a padded vice and WAIL on it with a large, heavy non-marring mallet.  :o  After several blows it finally moved a tiny bit, about a hair's width.  It is meant to be solid for the inletting process, then separate and file the hook for a tight but removable fit.

Curtis.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 08:30:47 PM »
My guess is that TOF is onto something with his comments.  The tang and breech on mine were so tight I had to lock the breech in a padded vice and WAIL on it with a large, heavy non-marring mallet.  :o  After several blows it finally moved a tiny bit, about a hair's width.  It is meant to be solid for the inletting process, then separate and file the hook for a tight but removable fit.

Curtis.

This is better than some of these two piece breeches that fit like a broom handle in a trash can.
With the one Curtis just described a little careful work with a very fine cut file with square safe
edges will solve the overly tight problem if indeed it is a problem.
Bob Roller

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2020, 09:26:52 PM »
My guess is that TOF is onto something with his comments.
If it's a flint breech, then everything I said is irrelevant.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline RAT

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 04:47:41 AM »
It's a flint false patent breech and hooked tang. The tang is short... approx. 1 1/2" with no provision for sights.

Bob

Offline sdilts

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2020, 03:09:00 AM »
I was down at Jason's today and saw one of these breeches. It looks really good. It locks up tight but not so tight that you have to whack it with a hammer. He said the tang is made from 8620 steel so that it can be case hardened. 
For now he is only offering a flint version. Hopefully he'll offer a percussion later on.

Offline Daryl

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2020, 04:34:45 AM »
Do you know offhand what sizes are offered, or are they listed on the site - hm.
Just checked the site - not there.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline sdilts

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 02:50:08 PM »
If I remember correctly he will offer 1", 1 1/8" and 1 1/4". He said he will be putting them on his site. For some reason I didn't ask the price.

Offline RAT

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2020, 05:11:24 AM »
The sizes are the same he told me on the phone.

$120.00 is what he quoted. About twice what cast plugs cost.

I suggested a version with a longer 3" tang with a squared off finial. That was we could cut and shape as needed (I need one that's 3"). He sent me a very short email stating... "not at this time". My guess is he's not interested.

For $120.00, I'm still on the fence.
Bob