Author Topic: Lehigh Butt stocks, how i do it  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Lehigh Butt stocks, how i do it
« on: September 24, 2020, 03:31:30 AM »
        I read with interest the recent thread on Lehigh butt plate inlets etc.   I just happen to be starting a Lehigh for a client, so thought I would show how I do it.

First off clean up your butt plate, make sure the mating surfaces are smooth and even.  Lay the butt plate on your stock, make sure the comb of the butt plate matches the comb profile of your stock, and then scribe a line along the inside of the butt plate.

Recheck your layout before you cut.

Cut your line on your bandsaw making sure to keep things square & level, then check your fit

Place your butt plate into position on the stock  align the forward extension of the butt plate with your lay out lines.  In this case i am using a slight cast off.

I now lay out the cuts that will remove excess wood.  No sense dealing with wood that will not be part of the finished stock.

Now cut away the unneeded wood.

Start your butt plate inlet, cutting down into the top of the stock sufficiently to just bring the forward extension just below  the level of the wood.

Work your butt plate forward until you get a good fit.

You can now check your fit of the butt plate to to the butt, and screw the butt plate into place.

Ok, I have gotten this far so I am going to post these photos before i screw something up.  I will do part two showing the rough shaping of the butt stock.   This butt plate instillation took about 45 minutes.

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline alacran

Re: Lehigh Butt stocks, how i do it
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »
Well I guess that is good work for 45 minutes. However I zoomed in on the last photo, because it appeared to me that there was a big gap towards the top of the BP. Yes it looks like a big old gap.
A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.  Frederick Douglass

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2020, 03:11:49 PM »
Knowing the quality of Ron's work I'd say inletting black. Anyway Ron I appreciate the effort to show a method of inletting what seems to be a difficult job for some of the members of this board. I'm sure there are others that appreciate it also. Tim

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2020, 03:40:58 PM »
 Thanks Ron, good Pix and text. Once you finish up we will move it over to "Tutorials" to make it easier to find.

Tim

PS: What size blade did you use on the band saw? The cuts look nice and clean. TC

Offline BOB HILL

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2020, 03:53:02 PM »
Thanks for sharing your method and your time, Ron. Great job.
Bob
South Carolina Lowcountry

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 04:18:37 PM »
That is exactly the same way I do them. In fact that is the same way I do All buttplates. If there is a dastardly gap where some have pointed out a couple raps with a hammer will disappear it.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline oldtravler61

• We all make mistakes.
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 05:14:05 PM »
  Mike same way I fixed my old Harley. Whacked it with a hammer...Ran for twenty years..till I sold it...still runnin..
 Oldtravler

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2020, 05:50:04 PM »
A good hammer blow cures many faults.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2020, 06:53:47 PM »
I don't see any gap.  I see the toe of the plate hanging down below the wood, but no gap.  Nice clean work Ron.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2020, 03:14:33 AM »
      Thanks for the nice feedback on my attempt at a tutorial.  I guess we find what we look for  I hope some see that this process need not be complicated.  It is nice to know that Mike uses very much the same process.  There was no discernable gap, but indeed a small smear of inletting black.  As said a couple of taps with a hammer and the brass would have snugged up to the wood.  this was a butt plate from Dave Keck and is good soft brass.  The plate was a little longer than that needed , but was trimmed back to just the right size.  Tim I use a Grizzly Ultimate 14" bandsaw with a carbide  4 hook blade.  This combo cuts clean and straight.   I realize that sawing away as much wood as  I do is not for everyone, but  this is gun # 377, so I feel pretty confident in what I do.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard