Author Topic: Hot Oil Bending  (Read 1269 times)

Offline tlallijr

Hot Oil Bending
« on: October 02, 2020, 04:53:02 AM »
 Seeing the plain and purdy thread mentioned recently has led me to this post. A few years back I built a plain old Lehigh. Well I never liked the the cheek slap. So after a few years I finally grew the nerve to attempt to bend it. I was successful, I achieved a 1/2” More of drop which improved it some, it’s still not the best fit as it takes an awkward hold to line up the sights but it did reduce the cheek slap. It’s been a few months since I bent it and it seems to be holding.  Here’s a few pics, you will see how far I put the wedge in while it was hot, it ended up springing back about half the distance when I pulled the wedge out after it cooled. 

Offline Not English

Re: Hot Oil Bending
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 05:35:29 AM »
Please describe your process. I've heard of it before, but don't have any idea of the process. Thanks.

Offline tlallijr

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2020, 04:20:06 PM »
Please describe your process. I've heard of it before, but don't have any idea of the process. Thanks.
I used Taylor’s method described in the second post down. It took a bit of bending to get the trigger guard to fit again other then that it was pretty easy.
  https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=29894.0

Offline Not English

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2020, 07:03:17 PM »
Thanks for the link. Very informative.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »
I have been telling people on this forum about bending for years but I don't think they believed me.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline 577SXS

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2020, 09:14:41 PM »
I like your way of using a heat lamp instead of torch. A heat gun would probably work better than a torch too! I guess the raw Linseed oil is better on the wood than steam on a finished gun as most gunsmiths you the hot oil.