Author Topic: Jerry Eitnier Rifle on the Contemporary Makers Blog  (Read 4953 times)

Offline RobertS

Jerry Eitnier Rifle on the Contemporary Makers Blog
« on: September 03, 2009, 05:10:12 PM »
There is a very interesting rifle on the blog today (Thursday) by Jerry Eitnier.  I am assuming it would be classified as a southern gun, and it has a few unconventional features, like the stock looks to have more drop than normal, and there is a little bit of a hump at the breech, and probably a few other things that just seem slightly different.  Anyway, I don't think they are accidental, and wondered if anyone knows whether this is a copy of a particular period rifle, or what the story is behind it?  It is very appealing to me, even though it is a little different from most of what's out there.

IKE

Re: Jerry Eitnier Rifle on the Contemporary Makers Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:23:19 AM »
Robert
Thanks for looking.
Yes sometimes my work is a little DIFFERENT!
I am glad that you like it.
THANKS!
Jerry Eitnier
Eitnier Rifles

Offline Eric Kettenburg

• Eric Kettenburg
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 03:29:12 AM »
Jerry I went to the CLA show only a few times ca. 1997-2001, but just about the only rifles that stick out in my memory are yours.  They seem very original and more importantly "real," which is a tough thing to pull off I think, especially given the huge volume of photographic sources and the even larger volume of contemporary sources which swamp all of us on a daily basis.  You seem to have your own thing going on and I like it!  I'm glad Art and Jan photographed that piece as it's really cool.
Strange women lying in ponds, distributing swords, is no basis for a system of government!

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 04:40:23 AM »
Robert
Thanks for looking.
Yes sometimes my work is a little DIFFERENT!
I am glad that you like it.
THANKS!
Jerry Eitnier
Eitnier Rifles
Jerry, could you give us a little information on this rifle--caliber, weight, measurements etc.? This is definitely a unique and interesting piece. Did you forge all the furniture yourself? This gun really gets one to thinking......

IKE

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2009, 05:45:46 AM »
 :o
  Thanks for all the kind words.
The gun is not a copy of any one gun just a product of my small twisted mind.
It has a 42 in. Rice 50 cal. Bbl. And a Jim Chambers lock. I made the rest of it
It has been test fired only and was new at the CLA show.
THANKS!
Jerry Eitnier
Eitnier Rifles
Iron Mounted Southern Guns

Offline RobertS

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2009, 06:32:58 AM »
Jerry, thanks for your responses and whatever it is you're doing, it's working for you.  Just keep it up!

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2009, 04:02:46 PM »
Hey Jerry, nice to see you creep out from under your rock and play with the rest of us grumpy old men. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

IKE

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2009, 10:21:02 PM »
 :D
Mike
Speak for your self.
OLD MAN!
SEE YA!