Author Topic: Cold Rust Blue  (Read 1039 times)

Offline rmnc3r

Cold Rust Blue
« on: October 02, 2020, 06:43:15 PM »
I refinished a part using Wahkon Bay Tru-Blu Reagent, but instead of boiling, I simply heated the part with a Propane Torch and sprayed on a solution of Distilled Water and a bit of  70% Isopropyl Alcohol (I use for cleaning). The Part turned Blue as it does when boiled.

I don't think the Alcohol is necessary and this technique will likely work with just plain distilled water, but it is what I had at hand and used.

Usual cold rust blue application technique was used; Clean, apply, rust, card, repeat. I did this 5 times over a day and a half.
I did dilute the WB solution with a little distilled water since the bottle was old and likely some evaporation concentrated the solution a bit.

After the final carding, I heated the part to about the same temperature that I would use for hot rust browning / bluing with BC Plum Brown or Mark Lee Express solutions, then sprayed on the Water - it turned dark blue. After oiling the part darkened to black.

The part is evenly colored and fine grained. I plan to try this on a Barrel sometime with LMF or Mark Lee since my Wahkon Bay bottle is nearly empty.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2020, 02:39:54 AM by rmnc3r »

Offline Daryl

Re: Cold Rust Blue
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2020, 06:51:47 PM »
Interesting method and results.
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V