Author Topic: New Guy/MG Locks  (Read 6382 times)

Potsy

New Guy/MG Locks
« on: August 26, 2009, 06:17:44 PM »
New fellow here.
Hello from Middle TN.
Been peeking around here for about 6 months and finally thought I'd sign up.  Seems to be a lot of great info and I hope you all don't mind a lot of silly questions from a newb.
I recently dove headlong into building a longrifle and bought a kit from Tip Curtis (he's only about 80 miles from me, heck of a nice fellow to deal with).
I wound up with a MG (or was it M & G?) small flintlock.  Their version of a small Siler.
I've never really heard of them but apparently Tip is a pretty big fan.
I can't find anything on them, does anyone have any experience, advice, things to look out for?  How do they compare to L & R's, Chambers', or Davis, etc. (not trying to instigate a fight, just wondering).
Thanks!!

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: New Guy/MG Locks
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 06:48:25 PM »
Davis is offering some of these.  I saw a couple at Dixon's and they looked good.  Somebody told me who designed these but I forgot.  We are blessed to have so many styles available now.

Not sure who is assembling them, and that is what matters most.  Davis locks newer offerings have impressed me.  I bought one of their early colonial locks (Germanic, heavier and earlier than the Siler, no pan bridle, no banana shape) and it's very well made and sparks great.

That being said, makers often choose locks or barrels based on established name or reputation because that is what customers want, the brand name.  And a "top regarded" barrel and lock go a long way toward selling a gun.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
Potsy, I'm not sure but I think M&G stands for Mold and Gun shop. I think they are assembling locks for Davis. They do an excellent job, and stand by what they do.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

rdillon

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 07:34:31 PM »
These locks are first class!!!!!!!  Call Tim at RE Davis and he will give you all the info you need on them.   Yes, Larry Zorns at the Mold and Gun Shop makes these.  Don Getz is a big fan of these too.  I'm sure he will chime in. ;D

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2009, 07:37:58 PM »
Do they make pistol locks and lefthanded rifle locks?

Best regards
Rolfkt

erdillonjr

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2009, 09:56:36 PM »
I have one in a BECK and it is fast and easy on flint. I like it a lot and will put one in my next build. ED

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 12:21:57 AM »
I have one in a small Lehigh I made for my daughter. Looks and works great. I wouldn't hesitate to use one again.

billd

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2009, 01:00:00 AM »
How is the parts availability? Break a spring during hunting season?????
Bill

rdillon

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2009, 01:33:10 AM »
Bill, as far as I know his parts are readily avail.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2009, 01:34:17 AM by RDillon »

brokenflint

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2009, 02:00:46 AM »
I meet larry at the CLA show, I had the Schweitzer I was working on which has a small siler.  Jack Brook's table was in front of Larry;s display. Small review here, Larry showed me the small lock he had on display which could have been used instead of the small Siler, was very nicely finished, action was crisp ( I only worked it unmounted of course), I will be definitely trying one in the future as I was impressed.

Offline Tommy Bruce

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 02:44:06 AM »
I've bought a couple of locks and one kit from Larry over the years.  He is a good guy, stands behind his work and his locks are top notch.  0
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books or too much ammunition”
R. Kipling

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 02:50:39 AM »
Larry Zorne assembles the locks for R.E.Davis, and they have a nice line-up of many style locks.   They also sell assembled Siler
locks which, I assume, they get their kits from Jim Chambers.  You can buy a siler from them that has a roller on the frizzen, works real nice.  The small lock they sell, I think its called the "Classic" is a little shorter than a large siler, and is narrower from
top to bottom than a siler, it is about the right size for a Beck rifle................Don

Sean

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2009, 04:20:03 AM »
I kinda like the looks of this one from them:

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/(S(iblkh545mkihxtqofvmensvl))/categories/partDetail.aspx?catId=14&subId=148&styleId=824&partNum=LOCK-BARKER-F-RH

I talked with Tip Curtis a few years back and he was having Larry Zornes make a slick looking little late Nock flint lock with a water proof pan as well.  He was putting it in his southern mountain rifles.  Don't see that one on Davis' web page though.  My experience with Zornes-made locks is one Davis lock.  It was overall very good, but unlike Chambers locks it needed some minor tweaking here and there.  I really think Chambers has just spoiled us.  Those things are just slick.

Sean

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 04:32:16 AM »
Potsy...

Welcome aboard!  I really like M&G locks and have used a few of them.  They spark nice, have a good release and are built well.  What I especially like about them is the nice wide bolster that allows for a well proportioned cheek area. 

Ed
Ed Wenger

Birddog6

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 04:01:52 PM »
I will say they are looking Much better than when they started.  Lots of initial issues with the small MG lock that looks like a small Siler.  I looked at the first batch that Tip had & finally found 1 out of 25 that was not bowed. Got it home & then realized that after being so concerned with all of them being bowed, I had overlooked the one I picked had the sear arm hanging below the lockplate.  6 mo later when I got to building the rifle Tip had more of them in & they were much better & he swaped the lock with no problem.  Put the rifle on a lil Tenn. rifle & it worked great.

Finish & workmanship is comparable to a Davis lock. Not as refined as a Chambers but they are a decent finish.
Nice thick Bolster like I feel  all   locks should have & don't, except the MG locks. That extra 1/6" of a inch on a bolster DOES made a big difference when building a rifle.
Really  smooth lock in cocking it & I mean that baby is smooth, easy & slick......  release is equally as  smooth. Quite impressive in that aspect & it's most outstanding aspect. 
Biggest drawback for me is it doesn't have the Lifetime Warranty like the  Chambers locks do. 
But they seem to be a good well built lock.