Author Topic: Front Finial on fowler trigger guard  (Read 3728 times)

Offline frogwalking

Front Finial on fowler trigger guard
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:45:15 AM »
 The trigger guard on the fowler kit I got from Barbie has a really beautiful finial on the  front end.  I am not sure if it is a leaf of some kind or a flaming  urn.  In any case, it is very nice.  I have seen some surface mounted, even some old ones.  I do not like that idea at all as I can imagine something catching under it and bending or breaking it off.  ON the other hand, the edges are beveled the wrong way for inletting.  My plan is to take my needle files and work about half the  thickness to an inletting bevel and inlet it half way.  Is that the right way to do it?   The front pinning lug is really good and big, but the back ones are very small (3/8").  Is that normal or should I silver solder an extension on the back ones? 

Not in a  hurry.  What will I do after I get er done?  (Other than shoot, of course)

Maybe make the 10 gauge?  If I live long enough there is a 20 gauge smooth bore flint pistol in there somewhere too. 

Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Dave B

Re: Front Finial on fowler trigger guard
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 05:13:16 AM »
Frog,
You have the right Idea about the inlet but wouldn't go half way only a quarter. They tended to sink these in so that they were just proud of the wood with only a 1/16" set into the wood. Others may say different but I think they look nice not buried into the wood and it keeps the sharp points of wood in the corners of the flame portion from breaking off. The width of the tabs are normal as you have them there you just need to double check before you drill your holes your right where you need to be before drilling.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 01:20:54 PM »
Frogwalking:   You have the right idea about in letting the finial on your trigger guard-- as to the pinning lug-- these are often mistaken as casting gates at the factory and are,often, ground off or reduced in length.   If it's too short, I just cut them off flush with the base of the casting and silver solder a longer one in it's place.  When you are involved with a kit of any kind there are always modifications that have to be made in correcting other peoples mistakes but usually it's no big deal.       Hugh
H.T.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:45:37 PM »
I can tell you that on that fowler guard the tangs should look as though they are growing out of the wood with no side edges showing.   At least thats what the judges at Chuck's gunmaker fair feel.     ;D

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 08:15:23 PM »
I was about to say the same thing. Inlet it ALL THE WAY in.  A triggerguard that is sticking out of the wood really looks crummy.   You may have to bend the sides of the guard finial down to match the curvature of the wood.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

California Kid

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 09:06:45 PM »
If its a fowler guard from Chambers the bevels for inletting are already cast into the piece correctly. Just clean them up. One of the differences of a high quality kit. Most of the urn will be in the wood as Stophel and Roger say, but a small part of it will be above the wood.

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:25:19 AM »
I can tell you that on that fowler guard the tangs should look as though they are growing out of the wood with no side edges showing.   At least thats what the judges at Chuck's gunmaker fair feel.     ;D

Yep, that's the way we do them.

As for the lugs, they both sound about right.  You don't really want the rear pin to be too high up on the side of the butt or it will become very obvious.  

Oh and if I'm not mistaken that is called a 1st edition Acorn finial.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:27:08 AM by Blackpowder Barbie »
Barbie Chambers-Phillips