Author Topic: Making small nails for inlays  (Read 2037 times)

Offline bowkill

Making small nails for inlays
« on: January 03, 2021, 02:51:58 AM »
What kinda wire do you guys use to make your nails for inlays and such..  I seen how it is done in the tutorial section, but don't know what wire or where to buy..
μολὼν λαβέ (Come and take them)

Offline flinchrocket

Re: Making small nails for inlays
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 03:18:58 AM »
I saw narrow strips out of the inlay material and make my own. They don't have to be perfectly round.
On some of Fredrick Sheetz work the nails have a rectangular head.

Offline Not English

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 03:42:04 AM »
Bowkill, I use wire that is the same material as the inlay. You can use sheetstock, but I prefer wire. I cut off a piece of wire that I think is the appropriate length. I next take a torch and heat the end until it melts into a small ball. I next insert the wire into a piece of heavier steel that has a hole drilled to the appropriate size and has one side countersunk. After peining in to shape I cut the other end at an angle with side cutters and roughen up the shaft with a utility knife. Needless to say all holes associated with the inlay are drilled just a hair undersize. If your using a semi precious metal (silver) a jeweler supply house can help  you out. I don't know about any one else, but I always epoxy the inlays in before pinning. Even though the epoxy can let loose over time, it provides a very solid base while pinning.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 10:37:02 PM »
When I use nails I make them from .020 sterling silver wire. I just cut them diagonally with a pair of large finger nail clippers.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline steven baker

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 11:29:16 PM »
I have used a Nickle for inlays and nails .More work but the price is right , take care Steven.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 11:41:55 PM »
I do as Flinchrocket does:  saw a strip off the metal stock that is as wide as the material is thick.  I then forge the strip into a rod, tapping gently on the corners to turn the square section octagonal, then round, more or less.  Then I place the strip in a small vise with just the end sticking up, and forge the end to expand it.  I cut off the length I want for the nail with ground side cutters to produce a chisel end on the nail, place the nail into a forming tool with holes to match the various sized nails I've made, each with a slight countersink, and form the countersink on the nail head with gentle taps.
Using the finely ground side cutters, I raise burrs along the shanks and the nails are ready to drive into the stock.  I rarely use glue on the inlay, but when I do, I do some wriggle engraving on the underside first, and then use thick CA.

Here's an example:  my Virginia rifle where the wrist inlay is about .080" thick, the nails about 1/4" long.

D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Craig Wilcox

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 03:35:48 AM »
I'm like Jerry and Taylor, making them from the same material as the inlay, forming the head in a countersunk hole, etc.  Works a charm, and very difficult to see the nail once all is sanded or filed down.

And epoxy is wonderful stuff, especially if the two surfaces have a bit of "tooth" to them.  The edge of a file does a good job of that.
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2021, 06:53:19 AM »
The cool thing about how Taylor does it is that the hammering for the rounding is going to cause the work hardening of the nails to the point they will run true when pounding them in. I have used hobby brass rod to make nails from for brass inlays and it is already work hardened and needs no additional pounding. If you have a copy of the steel canvas there are several pieces that Monte Mandarino made that have sheet gold inlet into the stocks(Pgs 305,355). He said that he used a fine set of diagonal cutters like for toe nails and cut using one side of the jaw for the tip and the other side for the head. If you look at the bevels on them one is at a flatter angle the other almost vertical. If you cut using the flat edge toward the shank of your nail you get a chisel point the other produced a blunted wedge when used toward the shank. He didn't counter sink the holes drilled in the sheet gold due to the fact the tapping of the nail caused the head to swell and in turn as it was driven into the gold it wedged its own counter sink and when finished there are no visible gaps any where to detract from the engraving. I had assumed that he made heads and countersunk the holes in the plates. He said he never had one come out. I cant recall if it was he that used a couple sections of file that compressed on to the shank of the nail and rolled back and forth or mounted on the jaws of a vice grip that impressed grooves on the shaft like a ring-shank nail.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Not English

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2021, 08:23:11 AM »
Steven, have you considered using a dime instead? No nickle content, but more silver. I've seen an early Remington half stock that an acquaintance built. He inlayed a dime in the cheek piece that had the same date as the rifle's introduction. Obviously the side with the date was exposed. It came out quite nice.

Dave

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2021, 07:49:35 PM »
Just for comparison to modern day, the iron nail on the left is from an original Jacob Dickert rifle, from a silver inlay on the forearm. Overall it's about 5/16" long.
The one on the right is one I made, to replace some missing nails on that gun.

John Robbins

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »
I make my own nails to but sometimes using the same material as the inlay is not called for.
https://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=6722.msg63357#msg63357

I use wire brad's.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln