Author Topic: Where to mount Patternmaker's vise for best versatility?  (Read 2736 times)

Offline Oil Derek

Where to mount Patternmaker's vise for best versatility?
« on: January 01, 2021, 06:58:31 AM »
Looking for sage advice from you pros.  I just bought a Patternmaker's vise from Woodcraft. I don't really want to Swiss cheese my bench to gain maximum versatility, so where is the better/best single point location on a bench top to mount it? My gut thinks opposite corner of where my wood vise is mounted. If so how close to the edges? I also reckon I could use the wood vise to clamp a base for said vise. Let me know your thoughts please.

Offline Bob McBride

• TENNESSEE
    • Black Powder TV
Re: Where to mount Patternmaker's vise for best versatility?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 08:07:45 AM »
I’m no pro but here are lots of options. I’d say if you don’t have room for a peninsula bench that you can move around then put it near the edge in a spot that allows you to move your fore end brace from one side to the other so you can work either side of a stock.

Online Nazgul

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 02:31:27 PM »
Don't have pics yet, mounted mine to a 2" x 12" piece of wood I had. Ran it through the planer so it is smooth. Mounted the vise on one end, made a moveable rest that slides for the other. Have a really nice commercial workbench I got for a steal and didn't want to drill it. The plank clamps on both ends, vise sticks off the edge.

Will try to get some pics later.

Don

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 03:09:46 PM »
I did like Nazgul and really like this arrangement. I use my bench for many projects other than gunbuilding. I like being able to move the whole thing out of my way. I lean against the wall when not in use. I can set it up and clamp it down in less than a minute.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 03:28:15 PM »
Hi,
I like PMVs at either end with a rest between.  The end positions allow me to walk around that portion of the gun held in the vise.

Holes in the bench top can be very useful.  I mounted a task lamp on a wooden base that has a peg in it.  That allows me to move it around using the holes in the bench to where I need it.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline moleeyes36

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 03:47:38 PM »
Hi,
I like PMVs at either end with a rest between.  The end positions allow me to walk around that portion of the gun held in the vise.

I've done the same thing with my stock makers vises, including the support in between.  It is a very useful setup.

Don Richards

Don Richards
NMLRA Field Rep, Instructor, Field Range Officer
NRA Chief Range Safety Officer

galudwig

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 05:44:38 PM »
I have two patternmakers vises that I have been using for many years. To me, these vises are so versatile that it seems a shame to commit them to just one location. Instead of doing so, I've adapted my work stations to accept them as needed. I've also added length to the mounting screw so that I can mount them to thicker bench locations. One picture shows both vises; one mounted on my stocking horse and one mounted on my work bench. That one one on the workbench works alone or in tandem with my Versa-Vise knock-off from Woodcraft. The portable carving bench is my latest iteration using the vise I normally have on the workbench.

If looking for the one best location though, consider an end corner of the bench that allows you to work freely on either side of the vise. You might also consider designing a stable mount such as an extended arm/island that takes it away from the bench a bit so that you can easily get to both sides of the vise while working.

Another thing I've done and seen others mention as well is to cut the knob off the clamping handle so that I can get closer to the vise while working. I got tired of it poking me in the gut all the time. While it is a bit slower to clamp, there is still plenty of leverage to clamp with just the crosspiece.

Offline Oil Derek

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 06:17:00 PM »
Thanks guys ... some good chewings here.

Offline B.Habermehl

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 08:34:53 PM »
Galudwig that stock makers Horse looks sorta familiar. GBG  I would love to see some of the other board members did with that basic layout. By the way your shop is too neat. Mine is a bit of a midden on it’s best days. BJH
BJH

galudwig

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 10:29:06 PM »
Galudwig that stock makers Horse looks sorta familiar. GBG  I would love to see some of the other board members did with that basic layout. By the way your shop is too neat. Mine is a bit of a midden on it’s best days. BJH

Yes! I took your plans and upscaled it a bit using 2x8's. Also made it 5' long & 36' high. It's heavy, but solid as a rock. It is reasonably portable with the legs removed.

As for my shop, that pic was taken after returning with the stocking horse from a gun building class at Canter's Cave. Otherwise, it's pretty cluttered!  ;D

Offline WestBranchSusquehanna

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2021, 02:30:10 AM »
Emmeret pattern makers vise is extremely versatile and I was fortunate enough to pick one up for under $200.  Pictured is it in use with me adding my metal vise.  Also along those lines, I mounted my gun makers vise onto a platform that I can secure on my workbench.  You can have one vise and add as needed.  Be creative.
Look up Emmert turtle back vise and see just how many positions it will go to.  Too bad they are no longer in production.

cloud image resize
Cheers, Michael Kuriga

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2021, 03:23:54 PM »
Years ago, I bought an original Emmert turtleback vice at a yardsale. I was pretty excited to have the ultimate vise. I brought that thing back to my shop and pondered the situation. I came to the conclusion that I did NOT want that big clunky piece of metal sticking out of the side of my bench- NO WAY. I sold it for what I paid. No regrets.
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 05:24:29 PM »

Is there a pattern for that bench on here, ALR?

Thanks, Tim

Offline sdilts

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 05:46:29 AM »
I mounted mine on the end of the bench and use a modified roller stand for support. I took the roller off and put on a piece of 2x4. I can swivel the vice in any direction and just move the support around. This way I can work from either side with plenty of room.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 10:33:18 PM »
If you have room the best place is in the middle of the floor.
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.