Author Topic: Lurker Posting gun Pics ....  (Read 3517 times)

carper1

Lurker Posting gun Pics ....
« on: September 01, 2009, 12:32:48 AM »
Hi everyone, I enjoy the board a lot as it brings back fond memories when I was heavy into ML's, building, and shooting. I thought you might enjoy a couple guns I still have.

The first is a custom built copy of an early Jacob Dickert built by Jerry Kirklin. I was a friend of Jerry's and did some of his grunt work ... rough to finish filing guards and butt plates in trade for things I was uncomfortable doing as bbl inletting, engraving and such.

The second gun was built by me with a few touches by Jerry Kirklin and is a fairly faithful copy of a later style N. Carolina rifle. The rifle is a 42 in bbl 36 cal.... click on the link below and check out the pics. tks

http://www.sportingcollectibles.net/gun-cp.htm

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:53:15 AM by carper1 »

Offline Don Getz

Re: Lurker Posting gun Pics ....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2009, 01:17:24 AM »
The first time I went to Friendship was back in August of 1977, the first year we were in the barrel business.   We were
set up inside the front gate under a fly, simple thing.  The corner booth of the commercial area, right close to where we
were, was occupied by Jerry Kirklin.    Didn't take long to get to know him.  I used to kid Jerry by telling him he was one of
the first great builders I ever got know, used to get a chuckle out him about that.   We had a lot of fun evenings in his booth.   You have a beautiful site, enjoyed all those great doubles......I take it this is part of your collection, are they for sale, etc.  Some great stuff there..........Don

carper1

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2009, 01:36:18 AM »
Hi Don, by the way my Dickert has one of your barrels and I like it very much. I have won a lot of matches and taken a few deer with it.

I too spent a lot of time shootin the breeze with all the great people at Friendship.

The link shows guns I have or had once and nothing listed is for sale.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 02:52:43 AM »
That's a fine copy of the Wylie Higgins iron mounted gun too - you do really nice work.  That's actually the first contemporary gun I've seen based on that great southern rifle.

Guy

carper1

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 03:25:31 AM »
Tks Guy, I had all the measurements front to back. I had a blacksmith forge the unique hardware. The only thing I omitted was the two wrist inlays o/w I think she somewhere in the ballpark.