Author Topic: Ramrods  (Read 8300 times)

Offline frogwalking

Ramrods
« on: August 24, 2009, 04:36:08 AM »
Thanks to Tom's nifty little ramrod scraping tool, Barbie will be happy  t o know the 7/16 ramrod blank ( a really fine one it is too) she sent with the 20 ga Virginia fowler now fits the st\ock groove, hole and ramrod pipes, but the business end is still full sized, with a Dixie shotgun button on the end.  I am still stuck up here just outside of DC, so am just  fooling around the edges.  Now to taper the rod for my rifle, so it will slip by the front lock screw.  (The one with the wasp waist)  The rod  TOW sent is made of some kind of soft wood.  Great grain, just not much strength.  Soon it will have a proper hickory rod.

How do you folks recommend one finish a good hickory ramrod?  Dixie used to say to soak them in kerosene, but that seems a tad drastic. 
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline Blacksmoke

• "Old age and treachery beats youth and skill"
Re: Ramrods
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 01:33:57 PM »
frogwalking:  Soaking your wooden ramrod in kerosene is kind of the right idea--however I use an old worn out rifle barrel with one end plugged and fill it a mixture of boiled linseed and turpentine. You can , also add a little color to the mix if you want.   Then I submerge the fashioned ramrod in the oil filled barrel for, at least, two weeks. Withdraw the RR and wipe off excess oil. The turp will help to dry the surface and after rubbing for a few days you will have a very flexible RR and less apt to break.      Hugh
H.T.

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »
Yes, Acer's ramrod tool is the cat's meow! I got one at the fair and have used it to fair-up the ramrod on my new rifle and it works great.  I am glad I snapped one up when I had the chance!

For ramrod finish I have never tried the kerosene treatment.  It sounds kind of "fishy" to me.  I just don't want to be trying to hunt with a gun that smells like kerosene!

I use a mixture of neatsfoot oil (the real stuff - not the "formula") and bees-wax.  I heat the rod up a little and let this mixture soak in.  Then wipe of the surface.  It never dries.  It just water-proofs the rod and keeps the residual moisture in the rod.  Remember, it is the water molecules situated between the cellulose molecules that give the wood it flexibility.  It you drive too much water out of the rod it will become brittle.  A 7/16 or 3/8 rod will absorb moisture form the air and slowly arrive at about a 10%, dry basis, moisture content.  Now lock that moisture into the wood with your finish!

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Darrin McDonal

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 10:44:04 PM »
Where do I find out about this ram rod scraper your taking about??
Apprentice Gunsmith
Colonial Williamsburg
Owner of Frontier Flintlocks

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:40 PM »
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Birddog6

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 10:51:41 PM »
  Dixie used to say to soak them in kerosene, but that seems a tad drastic. 

IMHO.......... All hogwash that Dixie started back in the 70's.   ::)

Stain it, seal it with Tru-Oil or Permalyn & you are good to go. Rub it to the finish you want.

A good RR with no runout doesn't need  treated it needs to be finished & used......  

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 12:20:07 AM »
Yeah I'm so proud! :)

I've always heard of soaking them too, just get some pvc pipe with screw on fittings.  can do several rods at one time.
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 01:54:25 AM »
I used some Grumbachers Damar Varnish on the last one and like the way it works.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 01:57:23 AM »
Hey guys,

The soaking in turpentine and oil is not a finish for a ramrod.  What soaking the ramrod does is it makes the ramrod more pliable and resistant to breakage.  A ramrod that has been soaked in the turpenne and oil for several years can be bent around in a circle so that the ends touch.  Try that sometime with an untreated ramrod with or without any finish.

Randy Hedden
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:52:58 AM »
While we're talking (hickory) ramrods, if one had a choice, would broad growth rings or narrow be most desirable so far as strength is concerned?

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2009, 03:56:01 PM »
Ben, 

The most important thing to look for is grain run-out.  V-shaped patterns made by the annular rings of the tree where the wood fibers leave the ramrod at an angle.  Rotate the rod and inspect end to end for run-out.  sometimes you get a manufactured rod that has very little run-out.  Most times you won't because the log must be perfecting in line with the saw with no natural curves when the blank was cut.

I rive most of my ramrods with a froe and a mallet from hickory logs that I have cut for the purpose.  That way I am splitting off a bundle of wood fibers that are all running together in parallel.  As I scrape the ramrod blank down I keep the run-out to a minimum.  Its a lot of work but worth it in the long run.

In my experience, if you have two ramrods with equal degrees of run-out the one with the finer annular rings will be the better ramrod.

Best Regards,

JMC

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 04:06:43 PM »
I had one of those cross grained rods break back when I was new at this, and lemme tell you, I had to pull the splinter out of my hand with a pair of pliers. Didn't know any better. I was also of the age where no one could tell me anything either. Imagine that. My 18 yr old son is off to college today. I see some similarities every day. Imagine that.  ;D
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »
Those "knockoff" RR's track sells are made of Ramin (real name?) and it's an imported wood.
Being gullible I just assumed a couple of RR's from track were hickory. The result is I've used them for years with no problems. Yet.
Ramin is nowhere close to the equal of Hickory but it can work.
I always load the first hunting load with a stainless range rod. And hope I kill with the first shot.
I do all cleaning possible with the range rod. And all range loading also.
When I do use the Ramin rod I be sure and choke up as I seat the ball.
Just for a test, take a knife and cut a ring around the Ramin rod and put it in a vice and tap the end. Do you still think its as good Hickory?
American horses of Arabian descent.

J.D.

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2009, 05:53:37 PM »
Sealing moisture in a hickory ramrod? Well, I learned, back in my stickbow making days, that hickory absorbs moisture, like any other wood, but doesn't release it, like other woods. That is the characteristic of hickory what makes hickory bows take a set so badly, if not sealed against moisture.

IMHO, leave hickory rods alone. Don't seal 'em, you are only sealing out moisture that gives hickory its flexibility.

As to soaking hic rods in kerosene and other concoctions, they may increase the flexibility of a rod while wet, but what happens to the wood when it dries out?

Does it retain the flexibility gained from soaking? To be honest, I dunno, never tried it.

So, the challenge is, soak a coupla rods for six months, let 'em dry for six months, then test 'em against unsealed rods left to absorb ambient moisture for the same time period.

To be honest, I dunno if there will be any difference in flexibility and resiliency.
The only way to find out is to test your theory of improving resiliency by soaking hic rods in several different concoctions, then testing against an unsealed control.

I, personally, don't have an attention span that will allow such an experiment over such a long time span. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast,  much less remember when rods were put into a solution to soak...or why they were soaked, to begin with. So, someone with a longer attention span, than I,  will have to perform this experiment.  ;)

God bless 

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 04:44:32 AM »
I started using bear oil on my ramrods. I got the idea when butchering a bear, and noticed the oil soaked DEEP into the teak cutting board I was using. I'd never seen anything absorb into teak like that. Raccoon fat would most likely be as good.
As is, I have cut off a part of hickory ramrod that had been well rubbed with the bear oil, and it goes all the way through.
As far as bending ramrods in a circle, I don't know. I've tried it on several pistol ramrods, and they all break!  ::)
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 04:52:57 AM »
soak them in grease and you make wake up to find some porkypines munching on your longrifle!   >:(
Andover, Vermont

J.D.

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »
soak them in grease and you make wake up to find some porkypines munching on your longrifle!   >:(

Or in the Midwest, 'possums, or even armadillos?

I wonder if a greasy ramrod would attract bears? Dunno, just wondering.

God bless

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2009, 06:20:54 AM »
I had one of those cross grained rods break back when I was new at this, and lemme tell you, I had to pull the splinter out of my hand with a pair of pliers. Didn't know any better. I was also of the age where no one could tell me anything either. Imagine that. My 18 yr old son is off to college today. I see some similarities every day. Imagine that.  ;D

I stuck a cross grained shotgun rod through the edge of the heal of my hand when about 17-18. I pay a lot  more attention to grain flow since. One go-around of this is all it takes. Straight grained rods seldom break.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2009, 06:13:25 PM »
Its interesting to me.... I have nice straight grain tapered hickory ramrods in my guns made from hickory dowels I got from Dennis. :)  These are all I use to load and clean my guns.... I do have one tapered rod (down to 5/16" at the metal tip) with a jag on it that is about 4 inches longer than my 44" barrels that I often use as a range rod.... I have pulled three balls with it and loaded countless times...... They never seem to break!!! :) :) ;)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 06:13:49 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 07:00:35 PM »
I have one of those scars on the heel of my hand too, now I make my own. Straight grained local grown shagbark and pig nut hickory.
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

Offline Waksupi

• Ric Carter, Somers, Montana
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2009, 02:54:15 AM »
Heck, we have griz around here. They don't need an excuse! Nothing like an old fat man in braintan to whet their appetite!
Ric Carter
Somers, Montana