Author Topic: two basic browning questions  (Read 1058 times)

Offline RMann

two basic browning questions
« on: February 26, 2021, 06:02:00 PM »
I just cut my dovetails and friction fit my sights, and am now ready to brown my barrel.  Is it best to tap the sights out for smoothly applying the browning solution to the barrel?  And on iron "furniture", should I  brown both sides of my side plate, butt plate, etc.?  Thanks in advance, for all your ready help!  R Mann

Offline snapper

Re: two basic browning questions
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2021, 06:08:20 PM »
I do not brown with anything on the barrel.    I also brown all sides of parts.  I dont brown the crown to help keep the solution from rusting the rifling.   Provides protection from rust IMO.

Fleener
My taste are simple:  I am easily satisfied with the best.  Winston Churchill

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2021, 07:34:06 PM »
I am opposite of snapper. I brown with the sights on the barrel (do not want rust in the dovetail) and only brown the other parts that show.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2021, 08:06:34 PM »
I remove both sights and the breech plug prior to degreasing and browning the barrel.  I do not brown the insides of side plate or butt plate.
On the barrel, I use a roll of cotton flanellette about 1/2" in diameter and 1 3/4" long to apply the solution to the flats of the barrel.  I use a Q tip to brown the bottoms of the sight dovetails.  Be very careful not to cause a run in the solution...only enough browning solution to dampen the applicator...squeeze out the excess to avoid runs.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Not English

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2021, 09:12:52 PM »
I do exactly as Pete does. Make sure you plug the barrel with a soft wood plug to keep browning out of the bore. I tap  it pretty solidly into the muzzle. I don't "drive" it in but it's in there solidly enough to support the barrel when handling the wooden plug.

Offline flinchrocket

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2021, 10:05:42 PM »
I sight mine in before I brown the barrel,so I don't remove the sights. Also, I only brown the exposed part of any other hardware.

Offline RMann

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2021, 04:46:11 PM »
Thanks for the input. I made a protective wooden plug, and Dave's style rolled cotton applicator, so I am ready to go....